Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.
Today’s temptation is an Apple cinnamon crumb coffee cake, made with Granny Smith apples.
Apple cinnamon crumb coffee cake is a moist apple cake with a crumbly topping – an American classic.
Here is the recipe, enjoy!
Start by making the cinnamon crumb topping.
Cinnamon crumb topping
- 3 1/2 oz. (100 g) walnuts
- 1/3 cup (75 g) light brown soft sugar
- 2 tablespoons regular sugar
- 1,5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (65 g) all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (60 g) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bring out all the ingredients.
Melt the butter.
I use a blender to mix all the ingredients together, but you can just as well do this by hand. If you make the crumb topping by hand, just make sure you chop the walnuts first before stirring everything together.
If using a blender, whizz for a maximum of 30 seconds.
Chill for at least 20 minutes. (You won’t need it until after the cake is baked and cooled.)
Apple cinnamon crumb coffee cake:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (135 g) regular sugar
- 1 teaspoon sponge stabilizer (optional)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 cup (190 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (250 ml) very thick vanilla custard
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (200 ml) crème fraîche
- 4 apples
- sugar, ground cinnamon and the juice from 1/2 lemon (for the apples)
- Cinnamon Crumb (see recipe above)
Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
Grease a 10-inch (26 cm) round baking pan.
Peel and slice the apples, then mix with the juice from 1/2 lemon.
Put the eggs, sugar, juice from 1/2 lemon and sponge stabilizer (if using) into a mixing bowl.
Whisk for about 8 minutes, until very fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract at the end.
After 8 minutes of whisking the mixture will be nice and airy.
Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir to mix.
Sift the flour into the mixing bowl in two additions, then fold into the mixture using a rubber spatula.
Add the thick vanilla custard and the crème fraîche.
Fold into the mixture until everything is well blended.
Pour half the batter into the prepared baking pan and arrange some of the apples on top.
Sprinkle with sugar and ground cinnamon.
Pour in the rest of the mixture and spread out like a blanket, tucking in the apples…
Arrange the last apples on top and sprinkle with some more sugar and cinnamon.
Bake in a 350 F (180 C) oven for about 60-70 minutes.
Fresh from the oven!
Leave to cool completely before sprinkling with the cinnamon crumb you made earlier.
Distribute the crumb topping over the cake.
Ready to serve…
The secret behind this exceptionally moist cake is the custard and crème fraîche in the batter…
Serve with some vanilla custard or ice cream.
I hope you are tempted…
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs from me to you.