Hello everyone, I hope you are all well!
This is one of my favorite sweet snacks to serve guests over the holidays.
Here is the recipe, enjoy!
Start by making the caramel:
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (200 g) regular sugar
- 3/4 cup (170 ml) light corn syrup or liquid glucose
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (25 g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (170 ml) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Put the light corn syrup or liquid glucose and sugar into a saucepan and place on a medium heat.
Stir until the mixture starts bubbling.
Stop stirring and leave it to bubble away until the mixture has a golden caramel color, about 4-5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat.
Now add the cream, butter and vanilla, starting with the cream.
ATTENTION: take care, the mixture will be burning hot!
Add the cream little by little, stirring all the time.
Then add the butter and vanilla extract.
Place the pan back on the heat and let it bubble away for one minute.
Pour the caramel into a heat proof bowl and leave to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (145 g) all-purpose flour
- just under 1 cup (85 g) oats
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (170 g) soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 6 oz. (170 g) chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 4 oz. (120 g) walnuts
Put the flour, oats, light brown sugar, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
Mix until everything is well blended.
Add the melted butter.
Mix until the dough comes together.
Line a 8 x 12-inch (20 x 30 cm) baking pan with baking parchment. Tip in the cookie base and press down to fit the pan in an even layer.
Bake in a 350 F (180 C) oven for about 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven.
Sprinkle the chocolate and walnuts over the cookie base.
Pour over the homemade caramel…
Return the pan to the oven for another 20 minutes.
Leave to cool before cutting into squares.
Ready to serve…
I hope you are tempted to try making these…
If stored in the refrigerator these Chocolate Caramel Chews keep well for at least one week.
I wish you a nice day,
hugs from me to you.