Yesterday I made English toffee, the perfect Christmas treat.
They’re extra pretty if using a silicone mat like the one I have here, but you can just as well make them plain.
- 1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (200 g) regular sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) water
Bring out a silicone mat or a baking tray or pan.
Put all the ingredients into a bowl, place on a medium heat and stir until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved.
Turn up the heat and continue heating the mixture until the temparature reaches 300 °F (150 °C).
This will take about 20 minutes.
Pour the caramel onto the silicone mat or into a lined baking tray or pan.
Sprinkle with chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, then set aside for 5 minutes.
When 5 minutes have passed, use a palette knife to spred out the now melted chocolate.
If you are making this some time ahead I recommend using tempered chocolate, and the surface will stay nice and shiny for longer.
Leave until completely set.
Break into shards and enjoy…
Share with the people around you, sharing is caring!
I hope you are inspired to try making English toffee.
- use unsalted, real butter
- when melting the butter and sugar – use medium heat and stir continously
- when the butter and sugar has melted, turn up the heat to medium/high and stir continously until the temperature has reached 300 °F (150 °C)
You can do it!
Hugs from me to you.