Hi sweet readers♥
The holidays are almost here, but I still have some recipes to share before that! Like todays recipe! Crème Caramel is a delicious vanilla custard that is baked with a layer of caramel on the bottom in a
loaf pan, In Norway we call this for caramel pudding. The custard is flavored with pure vanilla and made with full milk, heavy cream and lots of eggs and yolks. It has a rich, velvety texture, in Norway we serve it with whipped cream. And it is just so delicious and perfect to serve for Christmas.
CLASSIC CREME CARAMEL
- 200 GRAMS SUGAR
- 700 ml WHOLE MILK
- 200 ml HEAVY CREAM
- SEEDS FROM 1 VANILLA BEAN OR 2 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE
- 100 g SUGAR
- 5 LARGE EGGS
- 3 YOLKS
- HEAVY CREAM , SLIGHTLY SWEETENED, WHIPPED
- FLAKED ALMONDS
- FRESH FRUIT
How to make the caramel, first option
- Place the sugar for the caramel into saucepan and place over medium heat on your stove until the sugar reaches a deep golden caramel color.
- Take the sauce pan from the stove and quick pour the caramel into the loaf pan, turn the pan a little to make sure the caramel coats all sides. Use gloves when you do this, the loaf pan is extremely hot.
- Set aside and allow caramel to cool.
How to make the Vanilla custard,
- Preheat the oven to 260°F (120°C)
- Add the milk, cream, seeds from the vanilla bean or vanilla bean paste and the sugar into a saucepan.
- Bring the milk mixture to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Place the eggs into a bowl and whisk by hand
- Pour into the cooled milk mixture, while whisking constantly
- Pour the mixture trough a sieve to make there are no egg lumps in there.
- Pour everything into the caramel covered loaf pan.Let rest for 10 minutes to allow time for any air bubbles to rise to the surface, run a knife trough the batter.
- Bring some water to the boil and pour into a pan larger than the pan for the caramel pudding.
- Place the caramel pudding into the water bath, making sure the water comes two-thirds up the sides of the loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 1.5 – 3 hours. Let cool completely.
- Store custards in the refrigerator overnight.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the edge of the loaf pan and invert custard onto a plate.
- slice into delicious pieces and serve with whipped cream, and enjoy!
Enjoy and happy holidays to all of you, Love Manuela xoxo