Hi sweet readers ♥
I love vanilla cream or pastry cream, and if you have follow me for a while, you know I love vanilla.
In Norway, we often use pastry cream between cake layers in cream puffs or sweet vanilla buns It is delicious and so easy to make.
Today I want to show you with a video ” how to make pastry cream “
Note;I this recipe i use vanilla bean paste, instead of seeds of a vanilla bean, if you rather want to use that just use that instead.
Watch the video below how to make pastry cream, it is so dreamy delicious.
- 2 CUPS (500 ML) WHOLE MILK
- 1- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE, OR SEEDS OF ONE VANILLA POT
- ⅜ CUP (85 G) SUGAR
- 4 TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH
- ¼ TEASPOON SALT
- 6 LARGE EGG YOLKS
- 3 TABLESPOONS (45 G) CHILLED UNSALTED BUTTER, CUT INTO PIECES
In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk and vanilla bean paste, stirring occasionally, until the milk is hot but not boiling
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the sugar,cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk in yolks all at once until light and fluffy and batter reaches the ribbon stage.
- As you continue whisking, slowly add one-third of the hot milk to the yolk mixture to temper the egg yolks.
- Whisk in remaining milk into yolks and return entire mixture to saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and whisk frequently until the mixture begins to boil.
- Whisk the mixture vigorously for 2 minutes, while boiling, until the cornstarch dissolves completely.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Strain the vanilla cream mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Whisk in the butter.
- With a silicon spatula spread the vanilla cream to a thin layer on a small baking sheet.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly over the vanilla cream.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for a few hours.
- When ready to use, loosen the cream with a spatula or whisk.
- Pastry cream should be refrigerated and used within 3 days of making.