As I wrote in my previous blog-post I’m not a fan of buttercream.
I love light and fluffy creams, frosting you just want to dive in and eat with a spoon.
For the longer times, I have tried to come-up with a chocolate frosting that is light and fluffy and that taste like dark chocolate mousse, and that is great to pipe on cupcakes, and holds its shape and does not contain butter.
It came to me the other day, when I was making dark chocolate ice-cream and made a dark chocolate syrup for the ice-cream base, and I thought why not try to blend this with my favorite frosting, “Manuela’s fluffy vanilla frosting” that you can find here.
I did it the next day and my goodness, it was just like eating dark chocolate mousse.
It was light, it was so fluffy and you get this beautiful shiny dark brown frosting, it piped well and tasted amazing.
A few notes if you are planning to make this frosting; Make sure you use cold heavy cream, and cold mascarpone, and make sure the syrup is totally cooled before you blend it with the cream.
If you live in a warm country, you might want to put the cream and mascarpone in the freezer for 10 minutes before you whisk it fluffy.
I use, valrhona cocoa powder in this recipe it is 100 % cocoa powder and it is darker then store-bought, if you are using another brand, yours might end up lighter in color and different in taste, and the same goes for the chocolate you are using, I used 70% valrhona chocolate in this recipe.
Btw; the cupcakes I piped the frosting on is called “Love Manuela´s vanilla cupcake” You can find it on page 91 in my new baking book, that you can order here.
- 125 GRAM UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER
- 160 ML BREWED COFFEE
- 150 GRAM SUGAR
- 60 GRAM DARK CHOCOLATE 55 % – 70 %
MANUELA’S FLUFFY DARK CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 2 ¼ CUPS (500 ML) HEAVY CREAM, COLD
- 1 CUP (240 G) MASCARPONE, COLD
- 1 ¾ CUPS (195 G) POWDERED’ SUGAR, SIFTED*
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- CHOCOLATE SYRUP
PREPARATION, FOR THE SYRUP
- Combine cocoa, coffee and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil until the syrup begins to bubble, then immediately move from the heat.
- Pour the syrup over the chocolate, with a whisk stir the syrup until smooth.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
PREPARATION, FOR MANUELA’S FLUFFY DARK CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- In bowl add, cold mascarpone, cold heavy cream, and powdered sugar
- Whisk until fluffy, or until you have a stable cream base.
- Add in the vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract, and combine.
- Add in the chocolate syrup and with a spatula combine, until no white streaks of cream are left in the frosting.
- Pipe the cream on cupcakes and enjoy!
Have a beautiful day you all.