I love a good old-fashioned cake that is decorated in a very homemade style, and when you eat it, you just want another bite because it is just so delicious.
This cake is so moist, and the frosting is so light, it is almost like eating ice-cream, this is one of these cake that you might not want to share Because it is just so good.
Watch the video below how to make this cake, have a beautiful Sunday you all.
OLD-FASHIONED CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 3 CUPS (330 G) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- ¾ CUP + 2 TABLESPOONS (90 G) HIGH-QUALITY COCOA POWDER
- 1 ½ TEASPOONS BAKING SODA
- ¾ TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
- ½ TEASPOON SALT
- 3 EGGS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 ½ CUPS +1 TABLESPOONS (350 G) SUGAR
- 1-2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 CUP + 2 TABLESPOONS (250 G) MAYONNAISE, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 ⅓ CUPS (300 G) STRONG COFFEE, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 PORSJON MANUELA’S FLUFFY DARK CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C). Grease the bottoms of three 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder two times in a bowl. Whisk in the salt.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla bean paste on low-medium speed for 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to medium and continue beating 5 minutes longer.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat for another 5 minutes on medium-high speed. The batter should be very thick, and when the whisk is lifted,
- Add the mayonnaise and mix until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Sift in the dry ingredients in two additions, alternating with the coffee.
- Use a silicon spatula and fold the batter to ensure that everything is incorporated.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans, I use a ice-cream scoop for that.
Bake two cakes on middle oven rack, until a cake tester comes out clean, 20-30 minutes. Repeat with the last cake.
Let cakes cool in pan for 10 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the sides of the cakes and carefully turn them onto wire racks.
Peel off the parchment and cool complete.
- Prepare the cakes by trimming the tops off each layer, optional
- Make “MANUELA’S FLUFFY DARK CHOCOLATE FROSTING” you can find the recipe for that here.
- One the first layer, spoon a large dollop of on top.
- Spread evenly using a small/medium offset palette spatula.
- Repeat with the second layer.
- Add a adjustable cake ring around the cake, if you have one, also add a plast-film around the cake before you add the ring, optional
- Add the final layer on top, press it slightly down.
- Add some more dark chocolate frosting on top, and cover the cake with plastic wrap, using your beautiful hands to press the plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2-5 hours minimum.
- Put the rest of the frosting back in the refrigerate.
With a large palette spatula, frost the cake with chocolate frosting.
Using the palette spatula gently make soft, slow-motion movements on the top and sides of the cake for an old-fashioned finished look.
Add a cherry on the top of the cake if you wish.
Dig into this cake; it is so delicious!, and don´t forget to share with others.
The cake is best stored in the refrigerated up to 2 days.
Have a beautiful Sunday you all.
Love Manuela xo
Love my recipes? you can find more in my new English Baking book, Love Manuela the baking book 552 pages of yumminess, Order your copy here, we ship worldwide!