White Vanilla Cake (by Edna Staebler)
- 1/2 cup (115 g) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (450 g) regular sugar
- 3 1/2 cups (440 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (330 ml) cold water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until fluffy.
Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is well blended.
Put the flour, salt and baking powder into a separate bowl.
Measure up the cold water.
Add the flour mixture to the batter in two additions, alternating with the cold water.
Add the vanilla extract and almond flavoring.
Beat until everything is well blended.
Put the egg whites into a separate bowl and whisk until stiff.
Fold the whisked egg whites into the mixture.
I use two greased 8-inch (20 cm) cake pans. Divide the batter between them and bake in a 350 F (180 C) oven for about 30 minutes. The cakes are done when a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Leave to cool before cutting each of the cakes in two horizontally.
Fill and frost as desired.