This amazing chocolate cake is filled with a fresh raspberry cream and covered with a French meringue frosting.
I like to decorate this cake with swirls and pearls for a vintage look, hence the name.
Vintage Chocolate Cake:
- 1 1/4 cup (275 g) regular sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (180 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) flavorless oil
- 2/3 cup (140 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) strong hot coffee or espresso
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Raspberry cream filling:
- 1 2/3 cups (400 ml) heavy cream
- 3 1/2 oz. (100 g) fresh raspberries
- sugar, to taste
- VANILLA BEAN FROSTING, GET THE RECIPE HERE
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F (180 ˚C).
- Grease, and line two 8-inch (20 cm) baking pans and set aside.
- Place the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk lightly.
- Pour the whisked eggs and cream into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients, mix this for two minutes.
- Add vanilla and hot coffee and mix for one minute more.
- Divide the batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the middle of the oven 350 ˚F (180 ˚C) for about 20-30 minutes.
- Let´s cool completely.
- Once cooled, divide the cakes in two horizontally.
- To make the raspberry cream; Crush the raspberries with a fork,
- Whisk the cream with a little sugar until soft peaks form, then fold in the raspberries.
- Combine the whipped cream with crushed raspberries.
- I divided both cakes in two horizontally and filled them with a raspberry cream, place in the fridge while you make the Vanilla bean frosting, add one drop of pink food colour if you like it to be pink, get the recipe here;
- Decorate the entire cake with vanilla bean frosting, I use a palette knife for this.
- Sprinkle over some sugar pearls to acheive that “vintage look”.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES BELOW;
This is simply delicious…
I hope you are inspired to try making this cake.
I wish you all a wonderful day.
Hugs from me to you.