Hi sweet readers ♥
I love vanilla cream! In Norway, we often use it between cake layers or when making cream puffs.
Below are two options for making vanilla cream; you can make either a plain vanilla cream or a diplomat cream. Diplomat cream is blended with heavy cream and some powdered sugar resulting in a fluffier and lighter texture than vanilla cream.
- 2 CUPS (500 ML) WHOLE MILK
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE
- ⅜ CUP (85 G) SUPERFINE OR GRANULATED SUGAR
- 4 TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH
- ¼ TEASPOON SALT
- 6 LARGE EGG YOLKS
- 3 TABLESPOONS (45 G) CHILLED UNSALTED BUTTER, CUT INTO PIECES
- ONE RECIPE VANILLA CREAM
- 1 CUP HEAVY CREAM
- ½ CUP (60 G) CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
PREPARATION; VANILLA CREAM
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk and vanilla bean paste, stirring occasionally, until the milk is hot but not boiling!
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the superfine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in yolks all at once until light and fluffy and batter reaches the ribbon stage.
- As you continue whisking, slowly add one-third of the hot milk to the yolk mixture to temper the egg yolks.
- Whisk in remaining milk into yolks and return entire mixture to saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and whisk frequently until the mixture begins to boil.
- Whisk the mixture vigorously for 2 minutes, while boiling, until the cornstarch dissolves completely.
- Remove the pan from the heat, whisk in the butter in small increments.
- Strain the vanilla cream mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- With a silicon spatula spread the vanilla cream to a thin layer on a small baking sheet.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly over the vanilla cream. Allow it to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for a few hours.
- When ready to use, loosen the cream with a spatula or whisk.
- Pastry cream should be refrigerated and used within 3 days of making.
- Place the cold heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Whisk on low-medium speed until stiff peaks form. Add the vanilla cream, and mix with a spatula until just combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.