Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.
Here is the recipe for a lovely red velvet pie cake with caramelised walnuts, enjoy!
Red Velvet Cake
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 oz. (30 g) red food coloring paste (approx. 2 Wilton red food coloring paste boxes)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (150 g) all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons corn starch
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (200 g) regular sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) sunflower oil
- 4 tablespoons (60 g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream or full-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon red velvet essence
Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
Put the butter and oil into a mixing bowl.
Beat the butter and oil until well blended, about 1 minute.
In another bowl, mix the egg whites, vanilla extract and red food coloring paste. I highly recommend Wilton’s “Red no taste” food coloring paste for this cake.
Mix well and set aside.
Put the flour, sugar, corn starch, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into a separate bowl.
Add the flour/cocoa mixture and the cream (or milk) to the butter and oil mixture.
Now add the egg white and food coloring mixture, beating until everything is well blended.
I like to add a teaspoon of red velvet essence here, it adds a wonderful flavor to this cake.
Pour the batter into a lined baking pan (8 inches/20 cm in diameter) or greased pie dish (9-10 inches/24 cm).
Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-35 minutes.
My cake was done after about 30 minutes, but ovens tend to vary so keep an eye on it.
Turn the cake out of its pan and onto a cake stand or plate.
For the frosting: I used Manuelas fluffy white frosting, but added 10 oz. (300 g) Philadelphia cream cheese and 3 tablespoons milk instead of the suggested 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk.
Or make any other frosting of your choice, you can find my recipes for frostings here.
Pipe rosettes all over the top of the cake, I use a Wilton 1M tip.
Now make the caramelised walnuts.
- 1 cup (225 g) regular sugar
- 3 1/2 oz. (100 g) walnuts
Put the sugar into a saucepan and heat until the color has changed to a golden caramel.
Now add the walnuts, quickly stir them into the melted sugar.
Tip out onto a greased piece of baking parchment.
When the caramelised walnuts are cool, arrange on top of the piped frosting.
I hope I was able to tempt you!
Hugs from me to you.