Chocolate macarons with a caramel filling… one of my absolute favorites.
Place them in a cute box and they will make a perfect gift!
- 2 tablespoons (35 g) regular sugar
- 4 1/4 oz. (120 g) egg whites, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (150 g) regular sugar, for the sugar syrup
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) water, for the sugar syrup
- 1 1/3 cup (150 g) ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) pure unsweenened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (135 g) powdered sugar
- Caramel sauce (see my recipe here)
Preheat the oven to 320 ˚F (160 ˚C).
Put half of the egg whites into a bowl with 2 tablespoons sugar, whisk until frothy.
In a small saucepan, stir together the sugar and water for the sugar syrup. Heat until the temperature reaches 245 ˚F (118 ˚C).
When the sugar syrup is 245 ˚F (118 ˚C), pour it into the meringue mixture, whisking until the mixture becomes quite stiff and fluffy.
In a large bowl, mix the ground almonds, cocoa powder and powdered sugar with the rest of the egg whites.
Carefully fold in the meringue with a rubber spatula.
Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large Wilton 1A tip.
With the bag held vertically, pipe 1 ½-inch (4 cm) flat circles onto the lined tray, alternatively use a macaroon baking mat to achieve perfectly shaped macaroons.
Leave to rest for 1-2 hours.
Bake on the bottom shelf in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
When cool, sandwich the macaroons together with 1 teaspoon caramel sauce.
You can find my recipe for caramel sauce here.
Now nothing remains but to enjoy these treats…
Have a great day, hugs from me to you.