Today I made these delicious cinnamon buns.
I was in Holland a few weeks ago and there I went to a café named Cinnabon. In that café they had lovely cinnamon buns drizzled with vanilla cream cheese.
I saw something similar last year at the Dubai Mall, thinking “Good heavens, this is way too much frosting”, but their motto is “Life needs frosting”…
Here is my take on the Cinnabon bun, enjoy!
- 3 2/3 cups (450 g) all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (35 g) powdered milk
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (200 g) regular sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 oz. (50 g) fresh yeast
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) tepid water
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla cream cheese
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (150 g) butter
- 4 tablespoons regular sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) melted butter
Dissolve the fresh yeast in the tepid water.
Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, I suggest using a kitchen machine for this. Knead for about 20 minutes.
Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave to rise for about 30 minutes to an hour.
Sprinkle your work surface with flour and tip out the dough.
Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough, then brush with the melted butter.
Sprinkle over the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
Roll up like a Swiss roll, starting from the longer end.
Cut the roll into 2-inch (2-3 cm) pieces.
I’m placing these in a Baker Edge baking pan, but you could just place them on a lined baking tray.
Bake in a 350˚F (180 ˚C) oven for about 20-30 minutes. I use the fan setting for this recipe.
Smells so good…
While the buns are in the oven, make the vanilla cream frosting.
- 7 oz. (200 g) vanilla cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) Crème pâtissière, cooled (you can find the recipe here)
Put both ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined.
Use about 1-2 tablespoons of the frosting for each bun. As Cinnabon so rightly says, “Life needs frosting”.
I totally agree, as long as the frosting isn’t too sweet.
Now nothing remains but to enjoy these buns..
I hope you’ll enjoy these buns.
If you can’t find powdered milk just leave it out, but replace the water with milk.
Hope you’ll have a wonderful day.
Hugs from me to you.