This is a lovely vanilla cake with layers of vanilla cream and whipped cream. The toasted pecans and coconut adds flavor and crunch – hope you’ll enjoy it.
Vanilla Sheet Cake
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (230 g) regular sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (250 ml) sour cream
- Vanilla cream (thick vanilla custard)
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) heavy cream
- pecan nuts and shredded coconut
Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.
Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a separate bowl.
Add the flour mixture to the batter with the sour cream.
Carefully mix on low speed until just combined.
Line a baking pan (approx. 9×13 inches/23×33 cm) with baking parchment and pour in the batter.
Bake in a 350˚F (180˚C) oven for 30 minutes.
Leave to cool while you make the vanilla cream. (You can find the recipe here.) Or use shop bought, if you prefer.
Spread out the pecans and coconut on a baking tray and place in the oven (same temperature, 350˚F /180˚C) for about 10 minutes.
I used 2 1/2 oz. (75 gram) each of the coconut and pecans.
Spread out the vanilla cream over the cake.
Whisk the cream until soft peaks form and spread out on top of the vanilla cream.
Sprinkle over the toasted coconut and pecans, and some chocolate as well if you are a chocolate lover like me..
Now nothing remains but to enjoy this cake and share it with the people around you.
That’s it for now, I hope I was able to tempt you.