A while ago I was invited to the American Festival in Vanse, Norway, to be a judge in their cupcake contest. All the judges loved these lemon cupcakes, we simply couldn’t get enough of them.
Luckily the winner of the contest shared the recipe with me, and I got to share it with you. Enjoy!
Luscious lemon cupcakes (yield: 24)
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon (200 g) butter, at room temperature
- 2 ½ cup (550 g) regular sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaped tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (250 ml) buttermilk
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon (200 ml) lemon juice
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon (200 g) regular sugar
- LEMON CURD, GET THE RECIPE HERE
- angel feather icing, get the recipe here.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Finely grate the zest of the lemons and squeeze out enough juice to get 2 tablespoons.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and finely grated lemon zest.
- Now add the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder), alternating with the wet ingredients (lemon juice and buttermilk). Beat until everything is well blended.
- Devide the batter into the cupcakes forms.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Let´s cool.
- Make the lemon syrup,
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan. Turn on the heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Brush the still warm cupcakes with some lemon syrup, if you like.
- Add 1 tablespoon with lemon curd on each cupcake, get the recipe here.
- Make the Angel Feather icing, get the recipe here
- Use a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 1A tip to pipe the toppings onto the cupcakes.
Hugs from me to you.