Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.
A diner needs to have a real lemon meringue pie, especially since it’s my favorite…
This lemon meringue pie is filled with lemon curd and topped with cloud frosting. The cloud frosting is slightly scorched on top to give the pie that classic meringue pie look.
emon meringue pie is a real diner classic which is super delicious all year round. It’s easy to make too.
- 100 gram light brown soft sugar
- 170 gram unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 190 gram all-purpose flour
- 50 gram wholewheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 250 gram regular sugar
- 125 ml ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 7 egg yolks
- 115 gram unsalted butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 340 gram regular sugar
- 65 ml ice cold water
- Put the light brown soft sugar, butter and maple syrup into a mixing bowl and mix until fluffy. Sift together the flour, wholewheat flour, salt and vanilla sugar.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl in three additions, beating until the flour is just incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When 30 minutes are over, roll out the dough using a rolling pin.
- Line the pie dishes with the dough, then prick the base with a fork. Place the dish in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 350 ˚F (180 ˚C) oven for about 15 minutes (check after 10). You can of course use pie weights, that will make your pie crusts even more perfect.
- Leave to cool completely before filling the pies with luscious lemon curd.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until slightly thickened, it should reach a temperature of 160 ºF/ 70 ºC (use a thermometer).
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir well. Leave to cool completely, then put in the refrigerator. Lemon curd needs to chill for a few hours before it’s ready to use.
- Delicious lemon curd is not only perfect in a lemon meringue pie, but also as a cake filling, or fold it into some whipped cream to make a fresh and yummy dessert.
- Put the egg whites and lemon juice into a mixing bowl. Put the sugar, water and vanilla extract into a pan and give it a quick stir.
- Place the saucepan on the heat and warm the mixture until the temperature is 248 ˚F (120 ˚C). Use a sugar thermometer if you have one. When the sugar syrup is 248 ˚F (120 ˚C), whisk the egg whites until frothy, then add the sugar syrup a little at a time.
- Continue whisking until very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Delicious cloud frosting, ready to use.
- Spread the meringue on top of the lemon curd.
- You can use a blow torch to get that classic meringue pie look.
- This is for you, from me.
- Bon appétit everyone.
- Have a nice weekend!
- Hugs from me to you.
With Love from Manuela.