Good morning everyone! I hope you’ve all had a lovely weekend.
A new week is here, and I have to say that I am very much looking forward to brighter days… Those of us who live in Scandinavia don’t get to see the sun much this time of year.
Yesterday I made something very yummy for breakfast; crispbreads are one of my favorite things to eat in the mornings.
I had some leftover Parmesan cheese, so added this to the mixture with some freshly ground black pepper.
They turned out super yummy! Here is the recipe.
Crispbread with slices of brown cheese is very typical for Norway, and this is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast, or as a snack. They are very handy to have in the house when you’re a little hungry between meals as they are packed with healthy seeds and grains. This is a different variation of the classic crispbread, here I’ve added Parmean cheese and black pepper. Super yummy with some boiled egg or cheese. Hope you’ll like them.
- 400 ml whole grain rye flour
- 400 ml oats
- 100 ml sunflower seeds
- 100 ml pumpkin seeds
- 100 ml linseeds (flaxeeds)
- 100 ml sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 40 gram parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp honey
- 700 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 160 C/320 F, fan setting.
- If you prefer plain crispbreads, just put all the dry ingredients, except the Parmesan and pepper, into a bowl.
- Add water and stir until everything is well blended.
- If you want to make crispbreads with Parmesan and black pepper – mix together all the ingredients, then stir in the water.
- Stir until everything is well blended.
- Set aside for about 20 minutes to firm up. This will make it easier to spread out later.
- Divide the mixture between 3 lined baking trays. Use a rubber spatula to help you make an even layer. Cut into 36 equally sized crispbreads (12 for each tray), and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes – use the fan setting here. When the time is up, leave the oven door ajar and bake for 10 more minutes. Close the oven door and bake for another 10 minutes. The crispbreads should have a total baking time of about 60 minutes.
- Tip: It’s very important to spread the mixture to an even layer. If not the crispbreads will be burnt in some places while still raw and soft in other places. If some of them are still soft, just take out the ones that are done and return the still soft ones to the oven and bake until crisp.
- I’m as Norwegian as can be – I prefer my crisp breads with Norwegian brown cheese! Slices of boiled egg or other cheeses will be delicious too, though. Have you tasted brown cheese, by the way?
With love from Manuela.