It’s been way too long, but I’ve been abroad and when I finally returned home I had to prioritize some other things first.
I’ve been to Kuwait, and while I was there I was invited to an Egyptian restaurant for breakfast.
Hummus was one of the things I had there, and I just loved it! The whole breakfast was just amazing, and as always when I’m at a café I asked if I could have the menu… So today I tried to make hummus myself, and it was actually my first time making this. Luckily my friend Adel in Kuwait gave me some advice when I was there.
I loved this version, I actually liked it even better than the hummus I had in Kuwait. I hope you’ll like it, too!
Delicious hummus with garlic and lemon, perfect for tapas night.
- 450 gram chickpeas
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp Tahini
- 50-100 ml olive oil
- 1 lemon freshly squeezed juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- I use canned chickpeas here, about 2 cans. I like to remove the transparent “skin” from the chickpeas, it will take some extra time but it’s well worth it if you like your hummus to be extra smooth.
- Put the chickpeas into a food processor with the lemon juice, garlic, salt and tahini. With the motor still running, gradually add the olive oil in a thin stream until the hummus is nice and smooth. Pause the blender every now and then to have a taste.
- This hummus is just amazing, the lemon, garlic and salt are just perfectly balanced.
- Drizzle with some extra olive oil to serve. I served this with some nice bread, here is the recipe:
- Dissolve the yeast in the tepid water (which should be about 43 C/110 F) and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Put the flour, salt and olive oil into another bowl and gradually add the yeast/water mixture. Mix until everything is well blended.
- Leave to rise for about 1 hour, or less if you are using fresh yeast.
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/347 F. Divide the dough into 4 equally sized parts, roll out as you would a pizza dough and set aside to prove for a short while. Bake for about 15 minutes, then cut into triangles. Perfect for hummus!
- I hope you are tempted, see you again soon. Hugs from me to you.
With love from Manuela’s Diner.