I love a good meringue pie;
I usually fill my meringue pie with Lemon curd, this time I filled the crust with lemon custard, it is so incredibly good.
A pie like this you often see in cafe´s in Paris, I was just in Paris and was so inspired by a meringue pie I ate.
Hope you try it and let me know if you loved it.
LEMON MERINGUE PIE
For the base:
- 2/3 cup (150 g) butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (100 g) powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
LEMON CUSTARD (20 cm/8-inch pie dish)
- Zest from 2 lemons, preferably organic
- 100ml lemon juice (4-5 lemons)preferably organic
- 150 gram granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Gelatin sheet, soak in cold water 5 minutes and drain
- 150 gram unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- Fluff get the recipe here
Direction for the Pie Crust;
- Put all the ingredients for the base into a food processor and whizz until blended, alternatively mix by hand, but make sure to use cold butter and don’t over-work the dough.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Roll out the dough quite thinly, then use the rolled-out dough to line the pie dish. Pierce the base with a fork here and there.
- Cover with a sheet of baking paper and fill with ceramic baking beans (optional).
- Bake in a 375 F (190 C) oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
Direction for the Lemon Custard;
- Zest and juice the lemons.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatin sheets in cold water for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring to boil lemon juice, zest, sugar, and eggs whisking constantly, the mixture will thicken up.
- Lift the gelatine sheets from the cold water, wring gently to remove excess water
- Turn off the heat, remove the saucepan from the stove, whisk in the melted gelatin.
- Allow the lemon mixture to cool for about 5-8 minutes.
- In a blender add the lemon mixture and throw in the cubed butter and blend until completely smooth.
- Fill the baked crust and refrigerate for some hours until completely set.
- Make fluff, get the recipe here;
- Place the meringue in a piping bag, and pipe roses on top, or just use a spoon and spread the meringues on top of the cooled pie.
- If you wish, lightly torch the top of the meringues.
STEP BY STEP PICTURES;