Happy Monday everyone!
It’s usually not a good thing when you’re making a baking book, and you have to omit recipes just before the book goes to print. That said, it means I can share the recipe for these delicious Oreo cupcakes with you.
I know you love Oreos, and that was confirmed when I posted this photo on instagram ...
Oreo cupcakes (yield: 24)
- 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- seeds from ½ vanilla bean
- 7 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 3 1/4 cups (400 g) homemade cake flour*
- 1 3/4 cup (400 g) regular sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (170 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 packet Oreos
«Cake flour» is a very finely milled flour, great for cakes and cupcakes. You can easily make cake flour at home:
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon potato starch or corn starch
Mix in 1 tablespoon potato starch or corn starch per 1 cup (125 g) flour, and sift the mixture at least five times.
I recommend making a larger batch when you’re at it; cake flour can be stored in an airtight container.
Preheat the oven to 350 ºF (180 ºC).
Line two cupcake trays with cupcake paper cases.
Put the milk, vanilla extract, vanilla seeds and egg whites into a bowl. Stir until blended and set aside.
Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl and mix until blended.
Add the butter, a little at a time, and beat until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. This will take about 3 minutes.
Pour in the milk mixture, beating on low speed until everything is well blended.
Turn up the speed and beat for 5 more minutes.
If you want to make classic white cupcakes, divide the batter between the paper cases now.
For Oreo cupcakes – crush the Oreos and stir them into the batter before dividing between the paper cases.
Bake on the middle shelf for 18-20 minutes.
I use a white chocolate frosting for these cupcakes, it’s absolutely delicious.
White chocolate frosting
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (200 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup (150 g) powdered sugar
- 7 oz. (200 g) white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 5 1/4 oz. (150 g) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Put the butter into a mixing bowl with the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
Add the cream cheese and the melted and cooled white chocolate, and keep on beating until the frosting is smooth and airy.
TIP: put the bowl with the frosting in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, then beat some more until fluffy again. The frosting will stabilize and hence be easier to pipe.
If you want to know more about cupcake decorating, check out my post and videos on piping techniques HERE.
I wish you a lovely day.
Hugs from me to you.