- 2 ¼ cups (500 ml) whole milk
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (70 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (35 g) corn starch
- 3 tbsp (40 g) unsalted butter
Put the milk and vanilla seeds into a saucepan. Place over a medium heat until almost boiling, remove from the heat. Put the egg yolks, salt, sugar and corn starch into a large mixing bowl and whisk until everything is well blended.
- Pour one-third of the hot milk into the egg mixture and stir well. Pour everything back into,the pan and place on a medium heat.
- Stir continuously until the mixture starts to thicken. Stir for a few more minutes before removing the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the butter until everything is well blended.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve to get rid of any lumps, then on to a clean baking tray or cookie sheet. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and let cool completely.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours. When you are ready to use the pastry cream, pour into a bowl and stir until creamy and fluffy.