White cupcakes are often made for weddings, but they look so pretty on any dessert table with any kind of
frosting. These cupcakes are so moist and fluffy, and the vanilla gives them such an amazing taste! I think you’ll agree that the perfect accompaniment is the raspberry frosting and fresh fruit.
WHITE CUPCAKES Yield: 18 medium or 14 large cupcakes
- 2 ²∕₃ CUPS (255 G) CAKE FLOUR, SIFTED*
- 1 ¼ CUPS (280 G) SUPERFINE OR GRANULATED SUGAR
- 1 TABLESPOON BAKING POWDER, SIFTED
- ½ TEASPOON SALT
- 1 STICK + 3 TABLESPOONS (155 GRAMS) UNSALTED BUTTER,COLD, CUT INTO 1 INCH PIECES
- 2 TABLESPOONS VEGETABLE OIL
- ²∕₃ CUP (160 ML) EGG WHITES, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- ¼ CUP (60ML) BUTTERMILK, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- ¾ CUP (180 ML) MILK, ROOM TEMPERATURE, DIVIDE
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- MANUELA’S FLUFFY VANILLA FROSTING
- ¼ CUP COLD RASPBERRY PURÉE
- ¼ CUP FRESHLY PRESSED LEMON JUICE
- LEMON ZEST FROM 1 LEMON
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners, yielding 18 medium or 14 large cupcakes.
- In a small bowl, slightly whisk the egg whites and ¼ cup milk, set aside.
- In bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with paddle attachment,mix sifted cake flour and baking powder with salt and sugar; mixon low speed for 1 minute; add cold butter, 1 piece at a time, about 10 seconds apart until everything is incorporated.
- Add the vegetable oil and continue mixing on low speed until your mixture resembles a fine crumbly texture. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a silicon spatula. Add the remaining milk, buttermilk and vanilla, beating for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl again.
- With the mixer set at medium-low speed, gradually mix the egg white/milk mixture for 1½ minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a silicon spatula to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into prepared pans, using a standard size ice cream scoop, filling about ¾ full.
- Bake the cupcakes on lower rack of oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool for handling, then remove cupcakes from pans to cooling rack, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare Manuela’s Fluffy Vanilla Frosting you can find here.
- When the frosting is whipped, use a silicon spatula to fold in the cold raspberry purée, freshly pressed lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Place the frosting into a pastry bag, fitted with a decorating tip of your choice (I use ATECO #849), and pipe 2-3 swirls on top.