My recipe for this sophisticated treat is easy to get right, as long as you follow the instructions
closely. You can add any flavoring, and fill them with a variety of flavors to suit your taste
buds. My favorite filling for the plain vanilla macarons is Salted caramel, it is just heavenly.
Watch the video below to see how I make these macarons and get inspired.
Salted Caramel Macaron
macarons 35-40 macarons
- 160 gram egg whites at room temperature ( divided in 2 )
- 200 gram granulated sugar
- 80 ml water
- 225 gram very finely ground almonds
- 225 gram powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 275 g regular sugar
- 75 ml water
- 150 ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
Note: You will need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 275°F (135°C) use conventional setting.
- Put half the egg whites into a mixing bowl and attach the wire whisk to the mixer.
- Put the sugar and water into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir carefully with a spatula or wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved. Stop stirring as soon as the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the spatula and bring to a boil. Place a candy thermometer into the saucepan and cook until the syrup reaches 235°F (113°C).
- Start the mixer with the egg whites and whisk on high speed.
- When the syrup has reached 239°F (115°C), remove from the heat and carefully pour into the
- mixing bowl with the egg whites. Continue whisking for about 7-8 minutes, or until the bowl no longer feels warm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, mix together the very finely ground almonds, powdered sugar, and the remaining egg whites.
- Make sure everything is well blended. When the meringue is done mixing, stir a spoonful into the almond paste to loosen the texture.
- Fold in the remaining meringue. It’s important to fold carefully to avoid losing too much air. Use a rubber spatula or large metal spoon to “lift” and fold the mixture rather than stirring it.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a wide circular tip and pipe flat circles onto a macaron silicone mat, or a sheet of baking parchment.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Check regularly after 12 minutes. Touch a macaron with your finger to see if it’s done.
- The surface should be dry and firm to the touch.
- The macarons should not change color or brown while baking.
- If they brown you may need to adjust the temperature in your oven.
- Let cool.
To make the salted caramel:
- Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Place on a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Stop stirring and turn up the heat to high.
- Boil until the color has turned a deep caramel, then remove from the heat.
- Add the cream, vanilla, and salt and stir until well blended.
- Let cool completely and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- Transfer the caramel to a piping bag fitted with a circular tip and pipe a dot on to half of the macarons.
- Sandwich the macarons together, and enjoy
Love Manuela xo
can i use an oven without convention?
yes you can
Can i use hand mixer?i have not stand mixer.
Yes no problem but it takes longer
Do you have any recepie for salted caramelmousse?