Hei sweet readers I hope your weekend was great ♥
Have you ever tasted a Budapest Roll?
Budapest Roll is a delicious meringue hazelnut roll, filled with whipped cream and mandarin oranges!
It is so delicious and so easy to make, and perfect for any occasion.
- 1 1/8 cup (250 g) egg whites
- 2 cups (450 g) sugar
- 200g ground hazelnuts or almonds
- 75g Jell-O Pudding-Instant Vanilla, or corn starch
- 1 1/3 cup heavy cream, whipped
- One can mandarin oranges
- 2-3 oz. Dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon Powdered sugar for dusting
- 1-tablespoon Dark cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 320F / 160 C°
- In a large bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly add the sugar while beating the egg whites on low speed.
- In a medium bowl, blend the ground hazelnuts with the Jell-O Pudding-Instant Vanilla
- With the use of a spatula, carefully fold in the hazelnuts / Jell-O Pudding-Instant Vanilla mixture with the egg whites.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle and pipe stripes from one side of the baking tray to the other side, pipe each stripe close to each other.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 min, or until set.
- Let the meringue cool completely.
- While meringue is cooling, drain the mandarin slices. Make sure they are dry before being putting it on the cake.
- In a bowl, whip up the heavy cream until it thickens, if you love it sweetened add powdered sugar!
- Flip the cake upside down onto a new sheet of parchment paper.
- Carefully peel off the parchment paper spread the whipped cream over the bottom of the cake. Place the mandarin slices e on top of the cream.
- Place the long side of the cake in front of you and start rolling it.
- I find using the parchment paper and a silicon mat underneath helps the rolling ones you get started, hold on to the paper rather than the cake.
- Once rolled up, make sure the edge of the roll is facing down.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle on top, when the chocolate is firm, dust the top with icing sugar and some dark cocoa powder
step by step pictures below