Hi Sweet Readers, The weekend is her, and it is a Great time to spend in The Kitchen pre- paring all of Your Holiday Candies. I made these chewy vanilla caramels with sea salt and another batch topped with flaked almonds.
These caramels on top are soft, chewy and perfectly melt away in your mouth.These caramels wrapped in a twisted square of waxed paper make wonderful homemade gifts for the holidays.
See the video below how to make these!
Chewy Vanilla Caramels & sea salt and flaked almonds
- 360 ml heavy cream
- 300 ml whole milk
- 450 g sugar
- 250 g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 160 ml light corn syrup
- 45 ml water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste*
- flaked almonds and sea salt for sprinkling ( optional)
- Butter and line an 8-inch square brownies baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients.
- Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Place over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture reached 246 F° / 118C° this takes about 40 minutes, at this stage the caramel will be gooey and chewy, if you like your caramel to be more firm and chewy let the temperature go to 250 F°/ 120C°
- When the caramel reaches the correct temperature, remove it from the heat and pour into the prepared pan.
- Let the caramel cool for some minutes and sprinkle with sea salt and flaked almonds then let cool completely to room temperature.
- Once cool refrigerate overnight to help it set up and make cutting the caramels easier.
- Remove the caramel from the pan and cut the caramel into 1-inch squares.
- Wrap each caramel in a square of waxed paper and twist both ends.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
*If you use vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean paste, add it at the end
Use the Conversion Calculators if you need.
Happy holidays, and check back soon for more Holiday recipes or visit my christmas category to check out my other recipes.