Hi sweet readers, are you all getting in the holiday spirit these days? I hope you are enjoying the holiday recipes these days and there are more to come. The familiar small log shape of marzipan confectionary is sold in Norway every Christmas. This delicious, sought after
confection can easily be made at home. I shape one inch balls and coat them with, what else? — dark chocolate and drizzle them with some sea salt or raw licorice powder ! This is definitely my favorite candy for the holidays.
- 3 ½ CUPS (500 G) WHOLE ALMONDS OR BLANCHED ALMONDS
- 4 ½ CUPS (500 G) CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
- 2-3 EGG WHITES
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- 9 OUNCES (250 G) DARK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
- 1 TABLESPOON CANOLA OIL
- SEA SALT
- RAW LICORICE POWDER
- Process the whole almonds or blanched almonds in a food processor until they are finely ground.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and process, again until just combined.
- Add the vanilla and egg whites, a little at a time; hold back some of the egg white, you may not need the full measure, the consistency should be firm.
- Scooping by tablespoon form into 1 inch balls and place onto wax paper, forming 45 balls and place this on a baking sheet.
- Cover the marsipan balls with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Dip balls into melted chocolate, use a spoon to pour chocolate over the top, allow excess chocolate to run off. Sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt, raw licorice powder, or just enjoy them plain, with a delicious cup of hot cocoa.
Happy holidays, xoxo Manuela