Hi sweet readers ♥
So many of you have asked me for a video how to make nougat! So here you have it, in this christmas nougat I do not add honey as I do in my other recipe, Honey is manly used as a flavor, in this recipe I add vanilla bean paste as a flavor instead, you get this beautiful white nougat that is just so delicious and looks beautiful on the Christmas table. Making Nougat is not difficult at all, just make sure you have a candy thermometer, and get the syrup up to the right temperature. And when the mixture is ready work fast as nougat harden quickly.
You can do this I just know!
Btw if you haven’t seen it my first English baking book is ready for you to order, you can click here to order your copy, the book is a full colored book in English and it has 552 pages filled with yumminess!
- 100 – 150 GRAMS HAZELNUTS, WHOLE ALMONDS, PISTACHIOS
- 450 GRAMS GRANULATED SUGAR
- 210 GRAMS LIGHT CORN SYRUP/ OR GLYKOSE
- 125 GRAM WATER
- 1/8 TEASPOON SALT
- 60 GRAMS ( ABOUT 2 LARGE) EGG WHITES, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- SEEDS SCRAPED FROM 1 VANILLA BEAN OR 1-2 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE
- 150 GRAM DRIED BERRIES
- CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR FOR DUSTING
USE THIS COVERSION CULCULATOR IF YOU NEED TOO CONVERT GRAMS INTO CUPS.
- Place the hazelnuts, almonds and pistachio on a baking tray and toast in oven for about 5 minutes, stirring the nuts occasionally to make sure they toast evenly.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, light corn syrup, salt and water
- Clip on a candy thermometer, and bring to a boil over high heat stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the sugar is dissolved,wipe down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to remove any sugar crystals.
- Continue cooking on medium/high heat, without stirring, until temperature reaches 298,4ºF (148ºC).
- Into a bowl of a standing mixer, attached with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on medium-high speed when the sugar mixture reaches 248ºF (120ºC)
- When the sugar mixture reaches the right temperature,298,4ºF (148ºC).turn the mixer on medium speed and pour it into the meringue mix, in a thin steady stream,
- avoiding the whisk and the sides of the bowl and keep the mixture on medium speed, add the vanilla and continue beating on high speed for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and add the toasted nuts and dried cherries,Mix well with a greased silicon spatula.
- cover your hands with powdered sugar and work the nougat.
- Let stand at room temperature uncovered, until firm about 2 hours.
- Dust your table with confectioners’ sugar.
- Cut into desired shapes, I dust the nougat with confectioners’ sugar. I love to slice it in large lengths and wrap it in waxed paper and give it as a gift for the holiday.
- Best kept at room temperature, in an air tight container, wrapped in wax paper.
Happy holidays sweet readers, check back tomorrow for another Christmas recipe. Love Manuela xoxo