Hi sweet readers ♥
I hope you had an amazing valentine’s day yesterday.
Today I am sharing a recipe for my favorite ice cream cake from my new English baking book ” love Manuela “ This Almond & Daim ice cream cake is mine and my children’s, favorite. It is requested for birthdays every year. The flavor is so delightful! First, you have this gooey almond crust,
topped with a delicious ice cream, and Daim candy (you can find this candy at Ikea), which is basically a caramel candy coated in chocolate. If you are unable to get it, use a candy that is similar like a Heath bar The addition of coffee in the ice cream adds another delicious layer of flavor along with the caramel and almond making each bite so delicious! Ooh-la-la, let’s start baking!
DAIM ICE-CREAM CAKE
- 4 EGG WHITES ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 2 CUPS (220 gram )CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
- 1-2 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT, OPTIONAL
- 2 CUPS (250 G) GROUND ALMONDS
- 2 ¼ CUPS (500 ML) HEAVY CREAM, COLD
- 5 – 7 oz.( 150 – 200 ml SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK, COLD
- 1 – 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 – 2 TABLESPOONS STRONG ESPRESSO COFFEE, COLD
- 8 OZ. (200 G) DAIM CANDY, HEATH BAR
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Line a 9-inch (24 cm) round springform pan with parchment paper, grease the sides and set aside.
- Combine one cup of the confectioners’ sugar with the ground almonds in a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe a stainless steel bowl and the whisk attachment, of a standing mixer, with a paper towel moistened with lemon juice. This step is done to eliminate any trace of grease, which would hinder the egg whites from stiffening.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Add the cream of tartar, increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form about 1 minute. Increase the speed to high then add the remaining confectioners’ sugar, one spoonful at a time. Beat on high speed until very stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick. Add the vanilla and beat for one minute more.
- With a silicone spatula, fold in the ground almonds and confectioners’ sugar mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan. Use your spatula to spread evenly and to eliminate any air bubbles. Bake on the middle rack of oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Do not over bake this cake!
- Let cool completely. Meanwhile, proceed to make the Daim ice cream.
DAIM ICE CREAM
- Place the heavy cream and the can of sweetened condensed milk in the freezer, ( I use 200 ml, you can use 5 oz. 150 ml ) for 10 minutes.
- When chilled, pour the cold heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk into a bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, add vanilla and beat on low speed for one minute, turn the speed to medium-high and whisk until the mixture is thick and stiff peaks form.
- Scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl with a silicon spatula; at this point, you can sneak a taste—you will find it so delicious!
- Add the cold strong coffee, the crushed Daim candy and blend together with a silicon spatula.
- Pour it over the cooled almond crust, tap the pan on the counter a few times; freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Covered well, this ice cream cake covered well can be kept in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
- Sweet condensed milk usually comes in tins 14oz / 400g by weight, which equals 1 1/4 cups (10 oz / 300 ml by volume)you can use one tin, but I find its way to sweet!