Hi sweet readers ♥
Lemon is one of my favorite flavors I love to combine in my cakes, it reminds me of summer. I made this delicious lemon cake with meringues for the theinspiredhome.com blog post a few weeks ago. This cake is so fresh and so delicious in every way; it starts with a Norwegian almond bun. this bun is so gooey, but be careful not to overbake the cake or you will end up with a dry bun! The Lemon filling is just magical in every way. It is made with white chocolate, instead of using sugar and lots of lemon juice, make sure you use organic lemons it makes all the difference. The glaze is optional; in the glaze, I use light corn syrup and sweet condensed milk. It gives a beautiful shine on the cake, but because I love to top it with fluff you can easily hope over the glaze! I love to top this cake with marshmallows fluff and torch the top, the combination is just magical. Make sure to freeze this cake overnight and not in the refrigerator! If you love lemon I am sure you are going to love this cake.
Now if you are like me and love a pink looking cake, that involves a fudge brownie as well. You can easily switch up these recipes and use either pink food color before you add the cream, or change ½ of the lemon juice with raspberry juice. Using just raspberry puree instead of lemon you can do as well, but it makes the white chocolate stand out more. So, if you love White chocolate, you taste it more when you use raspberry puree! I prefer the lemon taste with the gooey almond bun, that said I love the pale color pink more.
Tuff choice, right? Get the recipe below and see all the step by step picture below for both alternative.
LEMON & WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE
ALMOND BASE, GLUTENFREE
- 4 EGG WHITES
- 220 GRAM CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE
- 250 GRAM ALMONDS
- ZEST FROM 2 LARGE LEMONS
- 120 GRAM FULL MILK
- 120 GRAM FRESHLY PRESSES LEMON JUICE
- 300 GRAM WHITE CHOCOLATE, MELTED
- 400 ML HEAVY CREAM
- 4 GELATIN LEAFS
LEMON GLAZE, OPTIONAL
- 80 GRAM FRESHLY PRESSED LEMON JUICE
- 120 GRAM SUGAR
- 120 GRAM LIGHT CORN SYRUP
- 80 GRAM SWEET CONDENSED MILK
- 6 GELATIN LEAFS
- 130 GRAM WHITE CHOCOLATE, MELTED
FLUFF, OPTIONAL, GET THE RECIPE HERE.
PREPARATION; ALMOND BUNN
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Line the bottom of a square adjustable cake ring (I use one from ATECO) with baking parchment paper and roll it up so that the cake batter will not come out on the sides, and set aside. If you wish use a around cake form 9 inch!
- Blend half of the confectioners’ sugar with the ground almonds in a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe a stainless-steel bowl and the whisk of an electric mixer with a paper towel damped with a little lemon juice to eliminate any trace of grease.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium high and beat until soft peaks form, about 1 minute, increase the speed to high and add the powdered sugar one spoonful at a time. Beat on medium speed until very stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick. Add the vanilla paste and beat for one minute more.
- Fold in the ground almonds and confectioners’ sugar mixture with a silicon spatula. Pour the mixture into the prepared spring form pan. Use your spatula to make sure it is an even layer and to eliminate any air bubbles. Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes. Do not overbake this cake!
- Cool the cake completely!
PREPARATION; LEMON MOUSSE
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile pour the milk in a medium saucepan add the lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil and remove pan from heat and cool down for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lemon zest from the milk.
- Gently wring the gelatin leaves to remove excess water and add them to the milk mixture, stir until completely dissolve.
- Add the lemon juice and melted white chocolate and stir until completely dissolve.
- In another bowl, whip cream and fold into lemon& chocolate mixture
- Pour the lemon mousse mixture over the almond crust.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
PREPARATION; LEMON GLAZE
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate
- In a medium saucepan add lemon juice, sugar and light corn syrup bring to a boil and remove pan from heat and add sweet condensed milk.
- Gently wring the gelatin leaves to remove excess water and add them to the mixture.
- Add the melted white chocolate, and whisk it together, alternative use a food processor to get a smooth glaze.
- Let the glaze cool down for at least 10 minutes.
- Take the frozen cake out of the freezer and pour the glaze over the top.
- Put the cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, before you remove the cake ring.
- Make fluff get the recipe here.
- Pipe on top of the lemon mousse cake, I use an ATECO #849 nozzle for this and pipe circles from one end of the cake to the other.
- With a torch lightly toast the fluff, if you wish.
Love Manuela xo
STEP BY STEP PICTURES;
To make the pink version, make1/2 a portion of fudge brownies, you can find the recipe here, use a sheet pan like the one in the picture, bake for about 15 minutes, cool down and freeze the brownie for 30-40 minutes before you cut it into the size of the mold.
I made the pink lemon mousse in 2 squire silicon molds, I used two different sizes as you can see on the picture, one is 10 cm and the other one is 20 cm.
Note; If you are going make a pink lemon cake, use a bit of raspberry puree instead of lemon juice to get a natural color.
I did not fill these to the top with the pink lemon mousse, but let about ½ cm left for the brownies bun.
Note; Freeze the mousse in the silicon molds at least 30 minutes before you put the brownies bun on top.
Use a measurement tool to measure the right size for the brownies, cut it and place it on top of the pink lemon mousse, and freeze the lemon mousse cake & brownies bun overnight or at least for 5 hours.
Next day, just flip the frozen mousse cake out like you see on the pictures below and place it on a cake stand, and place the other one on top.
Note; I skip the lemon glaze on the pink lemon cake, and meringues I kept it simple by just adding these cute Easter chocolate eggs on the side.
It is delicious to serve with fluff on the side, fresh fruit or whipped cream.
Hope you all got tempted, have a great Sunday you all. Love Manuela xo
MY ENGLISH BAKING BOOK ” LOVE MANUELA ” THE BAKING BOOK IS OUT NOW, 552 PAGES, ORDER YOUR COPY HERE, WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!