HI SWEET READERS ♥
This is the recipe for a typical Norwegian sponge cake, that you can fill with anything you love;
In Norway, we fill this cake often with, raspberry jam, homemade vanilla cream, and a light not-over-the-top too sweet whipped cream, and layers filled with fresh fruit, like strawberries, raspberries, and bananas. Norwegian often, add some orange juice to the cake layers before you add the filling to moisten the cake more.
This sponge cake is made without any →baking powder or →baking soda, it gets its rise from whipping the eggs triple in volume, and combining the dry ingredients gently.
- If you feel you get a better rise from baking powder you can use →1/4 tsp. baking powder for each egg, it is not necessary for this recipe I don’t use baking powder but I know a lot of you have a problem getting a rise; that said, if you are not carefully blending in the dry ingredients even when you use baking powder you won’t get a rise anyway, read my Notes below!
- If your cake does not rise probably; make sure that you combine the flour by hand and not with a mixer, as you will knock the air out of the cake, and it won´t rise in the oven.
- Also never open the oven door for at least 20 minutes, as your cake will fall, and become flat.
- If your cake sinks in the middle, you probably have baked it to little, each oven is so different so always check with a cake tester.
- WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW HOW TO MAKE THIS NORWEGIAN SPONGE CAKE;
NORWEGIAN SPONGE CAKE ( 24 OR 25 CM 8-INCH OR 9 INCH SPRINGFORM)
- 6 LARGE EGGS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 240 GRAM SUPERFINE OR GRANULATED SUGAR
- 1 TABLESPOON BUTTERMILK OR WATER
- 180 GRAM ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 60 GRAM POTATO STARCH, SIFTED
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE
NORWEGIAN SPONGE CAKE ( IF BAKED SEPARATE IN 3 X 8 -INCH BAKING ROUND BAKING TINS) OR IN A 10 INCH SPRINGFORM
- 8 LARGE EGGS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 325 GRAM SUPERFINE OR GRANULATED SUGAR
- 2 TABLESPOONS BUTTERMILK OR WATER
- 240 GRAM ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 80 GRAM POTATO STARCH, SIFTED
- 1-2 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE
*NEED TO CONVERT GRAMS INTO CUPS; USE THIS CONVERTER.
NORWEGIAN SPONGE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease the bottom of three 8– inch (20 cm) round cake pans and line with parchment paper; Or if you prefer you can use an 8-inch spring-form pan line bottom with parchment paper and spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and cornstarch or if you use potato starch, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on low-medium speed for 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to medium, and continue beating for 5 minutes.
- Add water or buttermilk and beat for another 1-5 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Add vanilla bean paste, and beat for one minute more.
- The batter should be very thick. When the whisk is lifted, the batter should ribbon from it back into the batter in the bowl.
- Pour the batter into a large wide bowl.
- Sift in half the flour mixture. Use a large silicone spatula to stir and fold until only a few streaks of flour are visible.
- Repeat with remaining flour mixture. Make sure to maintain the batter’s volume while folding;
- it is important to not deflate the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan or pans using a spatula to distribute batter evenly.
- 20 minutes → 3 x 8-inch pans, always check with a cake tester
- 30 minutes for → One springform 9-inch (24cm), always check with a cake tester
- Bake the first two cakes on the middle rack of oven until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs
- Let the cakes cool in the pan on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Use a knife to loosen the sides of the cakes and carefully turn them onto wire racks. Peel off the parchment paper and let cool completely.
- Use a sharp knife and scrape away any dark crust on the sides, optional
- If you baked this cake in one springform, Cut the cake into 3 even layers and fill the cake with anything you love.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY YOU ALL AND CHECK BACK SOON FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES.
LOVE MANUELA XO