Hi sweetest readers
Easter is here, so I had to come up with a simple Easter cake that tastes amazing!
This cake is made with the Norwegian Sponge Cake that I posted yesterday.
But this time it is baked in a baker’s half sheet, The cake is filled with a very light and fresh lemon & blueberry frosting, and strawberries.
This cake is then covered in delicious marzipan, and decorated very simple with egg candies.
Watch the video below how the cake came together.
Norwegian Cake, with Lemon and blueberry filling
- Vanilla sponge cake, get the recipe →here
- 100 gram raspberry jam
- 100- 150 gram strawberries
Lemon blueberry frosting;
- 2 cups ( 500 ml) heavy cream, cold
- 1 cup ( 250 gram) mascarpone, cold
- 1 cup ( 110) powdered sugar
- Zest and juice of one or 2 lemons ( make sure the lemon juice is cold)
- 100 gram frozen blueberries
For the top;
- 250 gram marzipan, use storebought or get the recipe →here
- 1 drop of yellow food color, optional
PREPARATION FOR THE NORWEGIAN SPONGE CAKE
- Follow the recipe for the→ Norwegian sponge cake, but use a baker’s half sheet instead.
- Bake the cake for about 20-30 minutes.
- Once the cake is done, turn quickly onto prepared parchment paper.
- Peel off the parchment paper right away.
- Trim off any dark crust along the sides of the cake
- Using a small knife very gently trim a thin flat layer off the top of the cake, you will want to take your time at this point. Carefully with your fingers pull away from the thin layer of crust away from the cake.
- Cut the cake into 3 equal lengths, I use a ruler for this to make sure they are all the same size.
- Put the cake layers on the side, while we prepare this delicious lemon blueberry frosting.
How to make the lemon & blueberry frosting;
- In a bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, mix the heavy cream, mascarpone, confectioners on low speed for one minute; continue medium-high speed 3-4 minutes or until fluffy.
- Add the zest and juice of one lemon; I prefer organic lemons, and carefully blend
- Add the frozen blueberries and carefully blend, have a taste it is delicious
- If you by any change have overbeaten the mixture, simply add a few teaspoons of cold heavy cream (straight from the refrigerator) and carefully blend
To assemble the cake;
- Brush the first cake layer with delicious homemade raspberry jam and add a tiny amount of lemon & blueberry cream on top of that, with an offset spatula smooth out the cream, and add the next cake layer on top.
- Repeat with the blueberry & lemon Cream, and add some diced strawberries on top, add more cream and add the last cake layer;
- Add a little more cream all over the top of the cake and all sides of the cake.
To assemble the marzipan;
- Dust the top of the marzipan and a large rolling pin with some confectioners’ sugar.
- Roll the marzipan until it reaches the thickness of approximately ¼ inch (3 mm). Use Polyester smoothing sheets or a fondant smoother to smooth the surface.
- carefully lift the marzipan and place it on top of the cake, make sure there is enough marzipan to cover each side.
- Use your beautiful hands or a fondant smoother to smooth the top of the cake and the sides of the cake.
- Use your fingertips and the palm of your hands to flatten the marzipan on the side of the cake.
- Use a fondant smoother to smooth the surface.
- Cut off a tiny piece on both sides of the cake,
- Dust the top with confectionary sugar, and place some egg candy on top, Simple but so delicious!
Hope you give it a try this Easter and let me know if you liked it.
Happy Easter everyone;
Love Manuela xoxo