This is a typical Norwegian almond base we often use for our ice cream cake or a cheesecake, it is mine to -go recipe. I just love it.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 cups (220 gram) powdered sugar or confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract, optional
- 2 cups (250 gram) ground almonds
Before you start;
- Wipe a stainless-steel bowl and the whisk attachment, of a standing mixer, with a paper towel moistened with lemon juice.
- This step is done to eliminate any trace of grease, which would hinder the egg whites from stiffening.
- In this recipe, I use vanilla bean paste, I must say I am obsessed with vanilla bean paste in my cakes, so if you can find it in your country, just leave it out and it will still taste great.
Directions for the almond base;
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Line a 9-inch (24 cm) round springform pan with parchment paper, grease the sides and set aside.
- Combine one cup of the confectioners’ sugar with the ground almonds in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form about 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to high then add the remaining powdered or confectioners’ sugar, one spoonful at a time.
- Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick.
- Add the vanilla and combine with a spatula.
- With a silicone spatula, fold in the ground almonds and powdered /confectioners’ sugar mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan.
- Use your spatula to spread evenly and to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake on the middle rack of oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Do not over bake this cake! (I bake mine 25 for minutes as I love mine almond cake gooey on the inside)
- Let cool completely.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY YOU ALL, LOVE MANUELA XOXO
STEP BY STEP PICTURES;