Hi, sweet readers ♥ Today’s recipe is a delicious almond base/bun for my cakes. This is a typical Norwegian almond base we often use for our ice cream cake or cheesecake, it is mine to -go recipe. I just love it.
ALMOND /BUNN- BASE
- 4 egg whites,(135 gram) at room temperature
- 225 gram powdered sugar or confectioners’ sugar
- 250 gram ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract, optional
Before you start;
- Wipe a stainless-steel bowl and the whisk attachment, of a standing mixer, with a paper towel moistened with lemon juice.
- This step is done to eliminate any trace of grease, which would hinder the egg whites from stiffening.
- In this recipe, I use vanilla bean paste, I must say I am obsessed with vanilla bean paste in my cakes, so if you can find it in your country, just leave it out and it will still taste great.
Directions for the almond base;
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Line a 9-inch (24 cm) round springform pan with parchment paper, grease the sides and set aside.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form about 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to high then add the powdered or confectioners’ sugar, one spoonful at a time.
- Beat on medium/high speed until stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick.
- Add the vanilla and mix for a few seconds more.
- With a silicone spatula, fold in the ground almonds
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan.
- Use your spatula to spread evenly and to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake on the middle rack of oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Do not over bake this cake! (I bake mine 25 for minutes as I love mine almond cake gooey on the inside)
- Let cool completely.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY YOU ALL, LOVE MANUELA XOXO
STEP BY STEP PICTURES;