I love lemon curd, anything with lemon is one of my top 3, favorite flavor to use in baking.
I could literally just eat an entire mason jar filled with this lemon curd.
Lemon curd reminds me of summer all year long, it is just delicious
Lemon curd is great on crepes with some sliced strawberries on top, or to fill cakes, or donuts, or blend lemon curd together with whipped cream and serve it as a desert!
I prefer using organic lemons whenever i make lemon curd, the taste is just more yum.
To determining when the lemon curd is done, is by lifting the whisk, if the lemon curd sticks on the whisk, you will see some drop of course but a trail of lemon curd is left, it is done.
Or you can stick a spoon in the curd, run your finger through the coating of the back of the spoon, and get a trail that sticks, and the curd is done!
SEE THE VIDEO BELOW HOW TO MAKE LEMON CURD.
- 225 G SUGAR
- 130 ML FRESHLY SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE FROM ORGANIC LEMONS*
- 8 LARGE ORGANIC EGG YOLKS*
- 85 GRAM UNSALTED BUTTER, CUT INTO 1-INCH PIECES
- Place a medium size saucepan over simmering water.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl except for the butter and whisk to combine.
- Place over the simmering saucepan. Here comes the boring part, you need to whisk or stir this for about 30-40 minutes over medium heat, until it thickens.
- You know it is ready when you lift your whisk, you will see drops of lemon curd fall off, but still there is some lemon curd left on the whisk, or use the back of a spoon.
- Let the mixture cool for 20 minutes.
- Add the butter pieces and whisk with a hand blender until butter is completely dissolved.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let set on your kitchen counter until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, pour it into a mason jar or a similar glass container, making sure it is tightly sealed.
- This lemon filling will keep in the refrigerator for 7 days.
*IF YOU PREFER YOU CAN ADD THE ZEST FROM THE ORGANIC LEMONS AS WELL WHEN YOU WHISK, I OFTEN DO THAT WHEN I MAKE LEMON CURD.
*IN THIS RECIPE I USE ORGANIC EGG YOLKS.