Hi sweet readers ♥
I love vanilla cream or pastry cream, and if you have followed me for a while, you know I love vanilla.
In Norway, we often use pastry cream between cake layers in cream puffs or sweet vanilla buns It is delicious and so easy to make.
Today I want to show you with a video ” how to make pastry cream “
Note; I this recipe I use vanilla bean paste, instead of seeds of a vanilla bean, if you rather want to use that just use that instead.
Watch the video below how to make the pastry cream, it is so creamy delicious.
VANILLA CREAM / PASTRY CREAM
- 2 CUPS (500 ML) WHOLE MILK
- 1- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE, OR SEEDS OF ONE VANILLA POT
- ⅜ CUP (85 G) SUGAR
- 4 TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH
- ¼ TEASPOON SALT
- 6 LARGE EGG YOLKS
- 3 TABLESPOONS (45 G) CHILLED UNSALTED BUTTER, CUT INTO PIECES, OPTIONAL
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk and vanilla bean paste, stirring occasionally, until the milk is hot but not boiling
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk in yolks all at once until light and fluffy and batter reaches the ribbon stage.
- As you continue whisking, slowly add one-third of the hot milk to the yolk mixture to temper the egg yolks.
- Whisk in remaining milk into yolks and return entire mixture to saucepan.
- Place over medium-low heat and whisk frequently until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Whisk the mixture vigorously for another 2 minutes more, while boiling, until the cornstarch dissolves completely,
- Whisk in the butter, this is optional you can leave it out.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Strain the vanilla cream mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- With a silicon, spatula spread the vanilla cream to a thin layer on a small baking sheet.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly over the vanilla cream.
- Refrigerate right away.
- When ready to use, loosen the cream with a spatula or whisk.
- Pastry cream should be refrigerated and used within 3 days of making.
I can’t eat eggs. What will substitute that in this recipe?
You need eggs in this recipe
Can we make flavoured pastry cream like orange or chocolate?
DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!! LOVE ALL YOUR RECIPES. I’ll try to make them all
I’m from Brazil and I’m love for this recipe! It look’s like so delicious!!
I’ll try to do it!!
Thanks for teach me!
Hi Giandra, so happy to hear that.
Can you use 1% milk? Is it possible to freeze it?
I would not, it does not taste the same! but you can try!
Hva er corn starch på norsk og hvor kan jeg kjøpe den?
Hi manuela I am from India and I Love your website.tried this cream.IT is fabulous.want to makeep the diplomat cream now.love your recipes and your presentation
Tried this recipe.IT was excellent
Thank you for your feedback Smita, so happy you liked it!
Would it be okay to substitute vanilla extract for vanilla paste?
Hi Manuela! When I initially made the cream it was very thick but after resting it in the fridge, the next day it became very runny. Do you have any tips maybe?
Omg this looks yummy I can use this in my shortcrust pastry tart shells
Yes! that sounds delicious, mabye add some strawberries on top of it and poured sugar!
I will make this to fill my cupcakes
I need to use corn syrup in this recipe?
Pingback: DIPLOMAT CREAM, BASIC RECIPE - Passion 4 baking :::GET INSPIRED:::
Pingback: Banoffee meringue pie - Passion 4 baking :::GET INSPIRED:::
It is okay, I guess. It is a bit chunky though, and not as creamy as shown in the pictures. I even strained it for smoothness. The flavor is a little egg-y, and not as good as I expected.
Hi Mia, it seems you might overcook, or have cooked it to fast on high heat, especially when you mention that it is egg-y! Always have it on medium-low and take your time when you make this. It is delicious and should never taste egg-y