Hi everyone ♥
I hope you all were having an amazing weekend!
Summertime is around the corner and one of my favorite things to enjoy in the summer is ice cream.
I often make my homemade easy ice cream with lots of delicious flavors, but today we are talking about gelato.
Close by where I live there is an ice cream shop that sells the most delicious chocolate gelato
Their Gelato comes in all kind of flavors and chocolate gelato is my favorite one and i love coconut flavor.
I wanted to try to make gelato myself, and found the perfect recipe from David Lebovitz book;
“the perfect Scoop”, His book has been on my shelf for many years but I have never attempted making his recipe for chocolate Gelato until now.
I loved it, it is smooth, and silky and taste heavenly,
But yes here comes the but…To make the ice cream (gelato) yourself at home using a good quality dark chocolate and good quality cocoa powder to get this typical Italian gelato it becomes quite expensive, so yes, it is delicious and it was fun to make; but the time and amount of work you put in to making this yourself plus you need an ice cream machine; I personally think I rather drive to this ice cream shop to enjoy theirs delicious Chocolate Gelato.
But if you love to make it yourself and you happen to own an ice cream machine and love to do dishes go ahead and make it, I am sure you are going to lick the whole bowl, because it is amazing.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW HOW TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GELATO;
- 5 ounces ( 140 gram) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 50 gram unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 cup ( 250 ml) plus 1 cup ( 250 ml) whole milk
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup ( 150 gram ) sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- Put the chocolate in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the cocoa powder, 1 cup ( 250 ml) milk , and the salt.
- Bring to a full boil.
- Then pour the mixture over the chocolate
- Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth, transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Set a mesh strainer across the top of the bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the remaining 1 cup ( 250 ml) milk with the sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, then gradually add some of the warm milk sugar mixture, whisking constantly as you pour.
- Pour the warmed yolks back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Until the custard is thick enough to coat the spatula.
- Pour the custard trough the mesh strainer into the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.
- Set the bowl containing the custard over a larger bowl of ice water.
- Stir the custard until cool, then cover
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
*note ; in the video; i made doubled this recipe