For years, I found it difficult to cover a cake with marzipan. What was especially difficult was one, creating a perfectly round shape after rolling the marzipan out, and two, getting the marzipan to fit the cake on all sides. However, the more I practiced, the more I got the hang of it, and eventually found a way that worked best for me. I’m sure this will be the same for you. Today decorating my cakes with Marzipan is something I love to do. Marzipan is so incredibly delicious, as it is made with almonds. I find that it complements a vanilla cake that is filled with fresh fruit, whipped cream, and vanilla cream; like my “Norwegian Cream Cake”
Watch the video below how to cover a cake with marzipan.
SUPPLIES AND TOOL LIST:
- powdered sugar
- Crumb coated cake
- Large Rolling pin
- White marzipan, you can find the recipe here.
- fondant smoother
- sharp knife
- Your beautiful hands
- Dust a clean surface with powdered sugar, remove the marzipan from the bag
- Dust your working table with powdered sugar.
- press the marzipan into a round flat disk. If you start with a round disc shape is will be easier to maintain the round circle at the end.
- Dust the top of the marzipan and a large rolling pin with some powdered sugar.
- Using the rolling pin, roll the marzipan from the center out.
- After each roll lift the marzipan and rotate approximately 45 degrees.
- Roll only once after each rotation.
- Making sure to roll from the center out to maintain a circle shape. Dust your work area periodically with powdered sugar so the marzipan does not stick.
- Roll the marzipan until it reaches the thickness of approximately ¼ inch (3 mm).
- Use a fondant smoother to smooth the surface, if you happen to have any air bubbles, you can remove them by using a pin to pop any trapped air.
- Place your cake on a silicon mold.
- Carefully lift the marzipan and unroll it on top of the cake, make sure there is enough marzipan to cover each side, if not quickly remove and do it again.
- Use your beautiful hands or a fondant smoother to smooth the top of the cake, do this quickly, or the rest of the marzipan could break off.
- Use your fingertips and the palm of your hands to flatten the marzipan around the cake, pulling the marzipan on the sides at times to make sure that are no bubbles, quickly and gradually work your way down to the bottom.
- Use a single-edge blade razor or a sharp knife to trim the excess marzipan all around the cake making sure to cut close to the sides of the cakes.
- Use your beautiful hands or a fondant smoother to smooth the entire cake.
- Your cake is now ready to be decorated into your own unique masterpiece.