Vanilla Sponge Cake makes 2 x 8 inch round cakes
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla-paste
- 1 1/3 cup ( 150 g ) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
Vanilla Sponge Cake makes 3 x 8 inch round cakes
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (225 g) sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla-paste
- 2 cup + 1 tablespoon ( 225 g ) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350.F° 180.C°
- Grease the bottoms of 2x 8 inch ( 20 cm) round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar on high for 8 minutes until tripled doubled, and light in color.
- In a little bowl combine oil, vanilla bean paste, and buttermilk, set aside for now.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Sift 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and carefully blend together with a spatula, until combined.
- Sift in the other 1/2 of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, combine carefully with a spatula.
- Divide the batter into your prepared 2 x 8-inch ( 20 cm ) baking pans.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, before you remove it from the oven check with a wooden stick pick inserted into the center to see if the cake is ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Let the cake cool in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Use a knife, loosen the sides of the cakes and carefully turn them out onto wire racks.
- Peel of the paper lines and let cool completely.
- Keep the layers covered in plastic wrap until use.
Step by step pictures;