This Friday it´s Midsummer’s Eve, in Sweden which is one of the most celebrated holidays in Sweden.
Midsummer’s is the night to stay up all night its sunlight almost 24 hours in some parts of the country!
We eat good food and spend time with family and friends.
For desserts, nothing beats a classic strawberry cream cake, It’s very popular as a dessert for Midsummer’s Eve here in Sweden.
Everybody makes their own versions, this one is made with a Norwegian Sponge Cake, it´s is filled with pastry cream, whipped cream, strawberry soaked in Strawberry punch, bananas, and passionfruit.
I sure do hope you love it.
You can use any nozzle you have, on this cake i use a Ateco #829 Nozzle.
Swedish midsummer Strawberry Cream Cake:
- 1 recipe for Norwegian cream sponge cake, you can find the recipe here.
- ½ -1 recipe for pastry cream, you can find the recipe here.
- 1 ½ recipe for Manuela’s fluffy vanilla frosting, you can find the recipe here.
- 400 gram strawberries, divided
- 1 cup strawberry punch, get the recipe here.
- 350 gram whole strawberries
- 2 bananas, divided optional
- 1-2 passionfruit, optional
Lemon Sugar syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- the juice of one large lemon
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
For the cake layers:
- Make 1 recipe for the Norwegian sponge cake and bake it in 3 x 8 –inch cake tins, Get the recipe here.
- If you wish, do as I and remove the crust on all 3 cake layers, see a video here how to do that.
For The Lemon syrup;
- Squeeze all the juice out of the lemon.
- In a small pan set over medium heat, stir together the lemon juice, sugar, and water until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat, pour in a small jar and let cool.
For the filling;
- Make 1/2 recipe pastry cream, get the recipe here.
- For the Whipped Cream, make half a recipe for Manuela’s fluffy vanilla frosting, you can find the recipe here.
- Sliced 400 gram of the strawberries and blend it with strawberry punch.
To assemble the cake:
- Spread one layer with pastry cream, and smooth out the top
- Repeat with a layer of whipped cream,
- Add the strawberries add more cream on top.
- Sprinkle over passionfruit, Add the next cake layer on top and repeat!
- Use a little cream to cover the whole cake, wrap well in plastic, cover and refrigerate for 5 hours.
Just before serving;
- Make one recipe for Manuela’s fluffy vanilla frosting
- First use a little cream to smooth out the top and side of the cake.
- Transfer the whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a large open star nozzle. ATECO #829
- Pipe straight up along the edge, Repeat all around.
- Decorate the top with whole strawberries.
- If you have cream left make some loops around the top of the cake.
- Decorate with some mini Swedish flag.
- Chill until serving.
- This cake is best eaten on the same day as it’s made,
- Have a great midsummer you all.
Love Manuela xo