A classic Swedish princess cake is one of the world’s most famous cakes. Most bakeries in Sweden produces its own version, A classic Swedish princess cake is covered in green marzipan.
It has three layers of fatless sponge cake, raspberry jam, pastry cream and stiffly whipped cream,
it´s wrapped in green marzipan, and garnished with a pink marzipan rose and leafs and dusted with powder sugar.
For about a month ago, I posted a video of mini Swedish princess cakes, on my YouTube channel, the video has been viewed more than 7 million times.
You can watch the video here.
I got some lovely comments on that video, but oh my goodness there were some angry Swedish people commenting that I messed up their classic Swedish Princess Cake.
I´m not going to change the title of the previous video, as many suggested, A lot of bakeries in Sweden, use different color marzipan and some also use fresh fruits.
And after all, it is a Swedish Princess cake, and not a Classic Swedish Princess Cake.
But Today I decided to make the Classic Swedish Princess Cake version!
So, no mascarpone cream, no fruits, no bananas and no dark chocolate in this princess cake and not using my own taste buds this time.
And for once, just this once, I will use green marzipan, to make this classic Swedish Princess Cake
I Hope you will love this one,
A Classic Swedish Princess Cake (Klassisk prinsesstårta)
You will need;
- 1 recipe for the Norwegian sponge cake, get the recipe → here.
- 200-gram raspberry jam (good quality)
- 1 recipe pastry cream, get the recipe→ here.
- 450 ml whipped cream, lightly sweetened if preferred
- 500-gram White Marzipan, get the recipe → here or buy storebought.
- Green, yellow, and pink food coloring
Here is how you do:
- Follow the recipe for the Norwegian Sponge cake, you can find the recipe → here.
- I bake it in 3 x 8-inch (20 cm) cake tins
- You also need pastry cream you can find the recipe for that → here.
- When the cake layers are baked leave it to cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- I like to trim my cakes, see the video how to trim your cake layers → here.
- When the cake – layers are cooled.
- On the first sponge layer add a generous amount of the raspberry jam, make sure to use a good quality raspberry jam,
- I make my own raspberry jam, I combine fresh raspberries with some lemon zest and lemon juice and a tablespoon of sugar, let it soak in, and take a fork and smash it.
- Place the second sponge layer on top of it.
- And add a generous amount of → pastry cream, I use about half a portion of the pastry cream.
- When adding the pastry cream, make sure to not spread the pastry cream onto the edge of the cake – layer, because pastry cream in direct contact with marzipan can make the marzipan sweat,
- Add a generous amount of whipped cream on top of the pastry cream and smooth it into a dome shape.
- Add the third layer of sponge, on top bending it to the shape you want. Cover the sides and top of the cake with a thin layer of the remaining whipped cream. Set aside in a fridge while you roll out the marzipan.
- To make your own marzipan, get the recipe here.
- Getting a nice shade of green marzipan, you get by adding a small amount of green food coloring and yellow and mix it in thoroughly before adding any more.
- Knead the marzipan until you have an even green color. If necessary, add some more coloring.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar on to your work surface Roll out the green marzipan to create a circle, enough to cover the cake.
- Keep turning the marzipan over and re-dusting the work surface with powdered sugar to avoid it sticking.
- Lift the marzipan over the cake using your hands, shape the marzipan around the sides of the cake with your beautiful hands to create a smooth finish without any folds.
- Carefully trim any excess so the base is neat.
- Add a tiny amount of pink coloring to white marzipan. Knead until you have an even pale pink color, and make a marzipan rose.
- Watch the video above how to make the marzipan rose and leaves.
- Lightly dust the top of the cake with powder sugar.
- Attach the marzipan rose and leaves with some water and place it on top of the cake.
- Serve, share and enjoy!
ORDER MY ENGLISH BAKING BOOK, LOVE MANUELA THE BAKING-BOOK HERE, 552 PAGES OF YUMMINESS!