Hi, everyone I hope you all are doing great. ♥
I fell in love with this delicious Norwegian Almond Cake, from the first time I tasted it as a young girl, it has such a unique taste to it.
It is made with a gooey almond bun, topped with creamy custard and loaded with vanilla flavor. It is just so heavenly; it melts in your mouth.
with love from Norway!
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW HOW TO MAKE THIS CAKE.
NORWEGIAN SUCCESS CAKE
- 4 EGG WHITES
- 2 CUPS (220 G) POWDERED SUGAR, DIVIDED
- 1-2 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT, OPTIONAL
- 1 . CUP (250 G) GROUNDED ALMONDS
CUSTARD CREAM TOPPING:
- 6 EGG YOLKS
- 3/4 CUP (150 ML) HEAVY CREAM
- 3/4 CUP + 2 TABLESPOONS (190 G) SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE AND/OR SEEDS SCRAPED FROM 1 VANILLA BEAN
- 10 OR 14 TABLESPOONS (150-200 G) COLD UNSALTED BUTTER, CUT INTO PIECES
- CHOCOLATE SHAVINGS
- Preheat the oven to 320F° (160C°).
- Line a 9-inch (23 cm) round springform pan with baking parchment, grease the sides and set aside.
- Blend half of the confectioners’ sugar with the ground almonds in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the egg whites into a clean bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form about 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to high and add the powdered sugar one spoonful at a time.
- Beat on medium speed until very stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick.
- Add the vanilla paste and combine.
- Fold in the ground almonds and sift in the rest of the powdered sugar.
- with a silicon spatula combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan.
- Use your spatula to make sure it is an even layer and to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes.
- Do not over-bake this cake!
- Let cool completely.
MEANWHILE, MAKE THE CUSTARD CREAM
- In a medium saucepan, put the egg yolks, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla bean paste.
- Over medium heat, whisk continually until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl let it cool completely to room temperature, this takes about 30-40 minutes.
- When ready, whisk for 5 minutes, you will see that the mixture will start to become lighter.
- Add cold diced butter, piece by piece.
- Whisk until everything is fluffy about 5 minutes more, stop the mixer, scrape the sides of the bowl.
- If the cream is too soft.
- Put the bowl in the freezer for about 3-5 minutes. Take it out and mix it another three minutes, more and you get this beautiful fluffy stable cream.
- Spread the custard cream on top of the almond base and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Alternatively, do as I do, and decorate the cake with the custard cream by using a Wilton #1M nozzle and a piping bag.
- Watch the video above how to make roses.
- Decorate with some white pearls or chocolate shavings.
- Cut, serve, share and enjoy.
Order my English baking book ” Love Manuela ” here;