Hi everyone ♥
In Norway, One company came up with one delicious chocolate treat, they took salted corn chips to a whole new level by dipping it into chocolate.
My gosh, it is so delicious and so addictive.
I live in Sweden and we just got this at my local gas station, and I just can’t stop eating these.
I made a classic Budapest roll with almonds instead of hazelnuts and filled this cake with whipped cream ( don´t sweeten the whipped cream the cake will be too sweet )
I then add sliced bananas and one bag of smash, If you don’t have smash were you live, buy salted corn chips, ( bugles) that look like the one on the bag above ) Dip it in chocolate and let it dry up and you will almost have the same taste.
The combination of this almond meringue roll, with whipped cream, bananas and smash it makes this combo just amazing because salty chips and chocolate goes so well together and pairing it with bananas and this almond meringue roll it is just smashing delicious, and a perfect treat for the weekend.
One, thing to think about when you make this roll is to not add to much cream add the end/ and don’t add bananas and smash at the end. ( see picture below)
Have fun making this cake;
Watch the video below how to make this roll, If you love watching my baking videos, you can subscribe to my YouTube channel here;
SMASHING DELICIOUS BUDAPEST ROLL
- 250 gram egg whites ( about 7 large egg whites) Recommend you use a scale
- 450 gram white sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar or few drops of lemon juice
- 200 gram ground hazelnuts or almonds
- 75g Jell-O Pudding-Instant Vanilla, or corn starch
- 300 ml heavy cream, cold 35 to 40 %
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 bag of smash
- Preheat oven to 320F / 160 C°
- Line one baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon matt and set aside for now.
- Prepare the standing mixer, by wiping the standing mixer bowl and whisk with a paper towel moistened with a little lemon juice to eliminate any trace of grease.
- Pour the egg whites into a mixer and whisk them slowly for some minutes, add in the cream of tartar ( or a few drops of lemon juice) as soon as the egg whites start to foam allowing small stabilizing bubbles to form, then increase the speed to medium speed so the meringues become at stiff peaks.
- Slowly add the sugar while beating the egg whites on medium speed until the meringue is glossy and firm/stiff.
- In a medium bowl, blend the ground hazelnuts ( or ground almonds) with the Jell-O Pudding-Instant Vanilla ( or use cornstarch)
- With the use of a spatula, carefully fold in the hazelnuts ( or almonds) Jell-O Pudding-Instant Vanilla ( or cornstarch) mixture with the whipped egg whites.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle and pipe stripes from one side of the baking tray to the other side, pipe each stripe close to each other, leaving about 1-2 inches free from meringues around the entire baking sheet /silicon baking matt to get a clean line.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 20 min, or until set.
- Let the meringue cool completely.
- Flip the cake upside down onto a new sheet of parchment paper.
- Carefully peel off the parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whip up the cold heavy cream on medium speed until it is at soft peaks.
- spread the whipped cream over the bottom of the cake.
- Peel the bananas, chop the banana up in slices add sliced bananas and smash ( you can also crush the smash before adding it on top)
- Place the long side of the cake in front of you and start rolling it.
- I find using the parchment paper or a silicone mat underneath helps the rolling ones you get started, hold on to the paper/silicone mat rather than the cake.
- Once rolled up, make sure the edge of the roll is facing down.
- decorate the top with more whipped cream and decorate with some more smash.
- Serve the cake right away, but it tastes better and the cake becomes more stable when you leave it in the fridge 30 minutes or longer and then serve it.
- Keep well in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- When making this roll cake, you will definitely have some batter left, just pipe them on a baking sheet and bake it for about 10 minutes, you will have delicious almond meringue cookies.
Have a beautiful day you all, Love Manuela xo
If you love watching my baking videos, you can subscribe to my channel here;
And watch lots more videos like the one below.