Hi sweet readers, Mississippi Mud Pie is one of those classic pies — a staple in most diners and caf´s — that finds itself being served far beyond its Mississippi borders.
This version of this renowned pie begins in an Oreo crust, which is filled with a delicious fudge brownie layer, followed by a luscious chocolate pudding layer. Oh, but wait, it’s the finale of mascarpone cream, for the topping, that assures this pie retains its status of a classic.
MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE
- 35 OREO COOKIES, FINELY CRUSHED, ( ABOUT 3 1/2 CUPS)
- 70 GRAM ( 5 TABLESPOONS ) MELTED BUTTER,
- 1 RECIPE OF MANUELA’S FUDGE BROWNIES, GET THE RECIPE HERE.
CHOCOLATE PUDDING FILLING
- 3/4 CUP (150 G) SUPERFINE OR GRANULATED SUGAR
- 1/2 CUP (60 G) UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER, SIFTED
- 1/4 CUP (35 G) CORN STARCH
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
- 4 LARGE EGG YOLKS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 2 1/2 CUPS (600 ML) COLD WHOLE MILK
- 45 GRAM (3 TABLESPOONS) UNSALTED BUTTER, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT
- 3 OZ (85 G) DARK CHOCOLATE (60-70% COCOA), CHOPPED
- 1/2 OR 1 RECIPE OF MANUELA’S FLUFFY VANILLA FROSTING, GET THE RECIPE HERE.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE OREO CRUST.
- Preheat oven to 300F°/ 150C°
- Lightly spray an 8-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line pan with parchment paper and lightly spray parchment and sides of the pan.
- Place the Oreo cookies in the bowl of a food processor; process to very fine crumbs.
- Transfer to a small bowl, add melted butter and, using a spatula, stir until well combined.
- Pour oreo crumb mixture into prepared pan and press evenly with the back of a spoon into bottom and up sides, leaving about 1/2 inch between the top of the crust and top of the pan.
- Transfer to freezer until crust is set, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer crust to the middle of the oven and bake at 300F°/ 150C° for 10 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 350F° -180C°
- Prepare batter for Manuela’s Fudge Brownies, get the recipe here.
- Pour batter into cooled cookie crust and bake until just set about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When pie has cooled down, I line the inside of an adjustable cake ring with plastic wrap and place around the brownie bun and press the baked brownie bunn slightly down, so the brownie bun is leveled as the same hight as the oreo crust.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE CHOCOLATE PUDDING;
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add egg yolks and whisk until combined, the mixture will look like a thick paste.
- Slowly pour in the milk, make sure to whisk constantly.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly to prevent it from burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Boil for 30 seconds and immediately transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the butter, vanilla, and chopped chocolate; whisk until combined, and smooth.
- Continue whisking until so the mixture is cooled slightly.
- Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Transfer to refrigerator until chilled, for a few hours.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE
- Take the pudding out of the fridge, Stir pudding to loosen and pour on top of the brownie.
- Using an offset spatula or a spoon, spread pudding to form an even layer on top of the cake.
- Transfer to refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Make Manuela´s fluffy vanilla frosting, get the recipe here.
- With a spoon spread whipped cream over chilled pudding layer, working all the way out to the sides.
- Unmold the cake, remove the plastic wrap and serve immediately.
- The cake can also be kept, covered, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.