Hi sweet readers, Easter is around the corner, and if you still haven’t figured out what to make for Easter dessert, let me help you, to make that choice!
This Daim ice cream cake is made the old-fashioned way, using lots of egg yolks and whipped cream.
This recipe is not the same as in my English book Love Manuela that you can order→ here; the one in my book is similar in flavor,
The difference is I used sweetened condensed milk instead of egg yolks,
Back in the days, yes I am that old; my mom used to make homemade vanilla ice cream with egg yolks, it was so delicious!
She would add strong coffee and crust mocca meringues ( back then we did not have Daim candy) into the ice cream batter and pour it over the almond crust;
it is so good and the flavor of this cake always come back to me!
Love that cake;
The combination of the almond crust that I like to be a bit underbaked, ( →25 minutes baking time I prefer) the ice-cream made so rich with the egg yolks, and flavored with real vanilla bean and coffee and the crushed Daim candy,
One bit of this cake, and you are going to want to make this ice-cream cake over and over again, yes it is that good!
MY MOMS DAIM ICECREAM CAKE, THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY
- 4 EGG WHITES ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1-2 DROPS OF LEMON JUICE
- 1 3/4 CUPS →200 G CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR/POWDERED SUGAR
- 2 CUPS →250 G GROUND ALMONDS
DAIM ICE CREAM
- 4 EGG YOLKS
- 2 EGGS
- 1 3/4 CUPS→ 200 GRAM CONFECTIONARY SUGAR
- 2 1/4 CUPS →500 ML HEAVY CREAM, COLD
- 1 TS. VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR THE SEEDS OF 1/2 A VANILLA BEAN.
- 2 TABLESPOON STRONG COFFEE, COLD
- 7 OZ. →150 GRAM DAIM CANDY, COARSELY CHOPPED*
- 2-3 OZ. →50 GRAM DAIM CANDY, COARSELY CHOPPED
PREPARATION FOR THE ALMOND CAKE, SEE STEP BY STEP PICTURES BELOW↓
- Preheat the oven to 320F°→160C°. Line an 8 →20 cm or a 9-inch →24 cm round springform pan with parchment paper, grease the sides and set aside.
- Wipe your mixer bowl and the whisk attachment, of a standing mixer, with a paper towel moistened with lemon juice. This step is done to eliminate any trace of grease, which would hinder the egg whites from stiffening.
- Place the egg whites and 1 or two drops of lemon juice into the bowl and beat on medium speed until foamy, about 30 seconds.
- add the confectioners’ sugar, one spoonful at a time, continuous mix on medium speed until very stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick.
- With a silicone spatula, fold in the ground almonds.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan, Use your spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake on the middle rack of oven for 25-30 minutes, Do not over bake this cake!
- Let cool completely. Meanwhile, proceed to make the →Daim ice cream
PREPARATION FOR THE DAIM ICE CREAM, SEE STEP BY STEP PICTURES BELOW↓
- I en medium bowl, whip the heavy cream fluffy and place it in the refrigerator for now.
- Coarsely chop the Daim Candy, this candy is available at →Ikea
- Make strong coffee, and set aside for now.
- Put the egg yolks, eggs, confectionary sugar and vanilla into a clean mixing bowl. →use the whisk attachment.
- Whisk for 8 full minutes.
- Stop the mixer and add the whipped cream, with a spatula combine.
- Add the coarsely chopped Daim candy, strong coffee → (make sure it is cold) and combine.
- Place the bowl in the freezer for 20 minutes.→ I transferred it into a smaller container.
- Make sure you almond bunn is completely cooled, Take the ice cream out of the freezer, and pour it over the almond bunn. → I like to use a strong plastic on the inside of the cake-ring before I pour over the ice-cream. ( it gives a more beautiful look )
- Add some more coarsely chopped Daim candy on top, if you are a sweet tooth like me.
- Place the ice-cream cake in the freezer for at least 6 hours preferably overnight.
- 30 Minutes before serving, take the ice cream cake out of the freezer.
- Serve and enjoy, it is so delicious!
STEP BY STEP HOW TO MAKE THE ALMOND BASE;