In Norway we have one famous cake; called success cake ( suksessterte) it has a gooey almond bunn, topped with a delicious custard cream, I have a video →here where you can see how to make it.
The cake is delicious, and the cream of this famous Norwegian cake is a custard.
I then add pieces of cold butter into the custard while whipping it up, you get this fluffy cream.
In this recipe, I changed it up a bit by adding cream cheese into the cream; and turning this classic beauty into a cheesecake version!
The almond bunn is gooey and the cheesecake is all about vanilla, you see the vanilla flecks in the picture?
I sure do love vanilla!
I hope you try it and let me know if you love it as much as I do.
- 4 EGG WHITES
- 1-2 DROPS OF FRESH LEMON JUICE, OPTIONAL
- 2 CUPS (220 G) CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
- 1-2 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE OR VANILLA EXTRACT, OPTIONAL
- 1 3/4 CUP (250 G) GROUNDED ALMONDS
CUSTARD CREAM TOPPING:
- 6 EGG YOLKS
- CUP (150 ML) HEAVY CREAM
- CUP + 2 TABLESPOONS (190 G) SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA BEAN PASTE AND/OR SEEDS SCRAPED FROM 1 VANILLA BEAN
- 14 TABLESPOONS (200 G) COLD UNSALTED BUTTER, CUT INTO PIECES
- 8-10 OZ PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE, AT ROOM TEMP.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE ALMOND CAKE.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Line a 9-inch (24 cm) round springform pan with baking parchment, grease the sides and set aside.
- Place the egg whites and lemon juice into a mixing bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and beat until soft peaks form about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar one spoonful at a time.
- Beat on medium speed until very stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick.
- transfer the mixture to a medium bowl
- Add the vanilla paste, (optional) and with a spatula combine
- Fold in the ground almonds with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan.
- Use your spatula to make sure it is an even layer and to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes.
- Do not over-bake this cake or it will taste dry.
- Let cool completely.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE CUSTARD CREAM/ CHEESECAKE MIXTURE
- In a medium saucepan, put the egg yolks, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla bean paste or seeds of a vanilla bean.
- Over medium heat, whisk continually until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl, place the mixing bowl into a ice water or just cold water so it cools down faster, about 30-40 minutes.
- When ready, whisk for 5 minutes, you will see that the mixture will start to become lighter.
- Change to a paddle attachment or use a beater-blade, and add cold diced butter, piece by piece and whisk until everything is fluffy about 5 minutes more, stop the mixer, scrape the sides of the bowl at times.
- Add the cream cheese and mix until combined and smooth.
- Spread the custard cream on top of the almond base and chill in the refrigerator a couple of hours until firm or preferably overnight.
- Decorate the top as you like, serve, cut and enjoy!
FEW STEP BY STEP PICTURES; FOR THE ALMOND BUNN.
FEW STEP BY STEP PICTURES FOR THE CUSTARD CREAM;