Hi sweet readers ♥
I hope you are enjoying Easter, and that you have been baking something delicious baked goods either from my blog or my baking book → Love Manuela.
A few weeks ago I was in Chicago to attend the→ housewares show.
Some hours before my flight back to Sweden;
I decided to visit this bakery →@sweetmandybs bakery it is located in the heart of Chicago´s Lincoln Park.
Sweet Mandy B´s sells Old-fashioned Desserts.
I loved how they decorated the inside of the bakery;
This wall was my favorite, Love the quote on the wall and the pretty colors.
I ordered first a cup of coffee, great coffee btw and how cute is this bakery sign?
I ordered their best-selling cupcake, the →Confetti Cupcake. looked pretty, but I´m not a fan of buttercream and felt the cupcake was a bit dry for my taste.
But you might love this Confetti Cupcake.
Next, I ordered a piece of Lemon Key pie;
I love the look of this Key lime pie.
I have never eaten a Key Lime Pie before; I loved the pie. I ask the lady behind the counter how the pie was made she said Sweet condensed milk and lots of egg yolks and lots of Key lime juice. I thought it was quite interesting with the sweet condensed milk.
So back home I googled →Sweet Condensed milk + →Key lemon Pie + →Sweet Mandy B + →Chicago
A video ” Chicago’s Best Key Lime Pie @ Sweet Mandy B’s ” came up, watch it →here.
I tried to re-create the pie; with a recipe ( slightly adapted from here)
I did a mix of Lime and lemon as I felt just lime made it too bitter for my taste I added sour cream to the mix for a more creamier consistency.
KEY LIME PIE OR→ LEMON PIE
- 1 1/2 cups →150 gram crushed graham crackers
- 6 tbsp→85 gram butter, melted
- 1/3 cup →60 gram sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS;
- 2 cups →600 gram sweetened condensed milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup →240 ml lemon juice or→ lime juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest or lime zest
- 1 ts. Vanilla bean paste
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup →100 ml sour cream
- Whipped cream
DIRECTION FOR THE CRUST;
- Combine crushed graham cracker, softened butter, and sugar.
- Mix well and press into greased pie dish.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 350.
DIRECTION FOR PIE FILLING;
- In a large bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, salt vanilla and sour cream until combined.
- Add lemon juice and zest or lime juice and zest mix to combine.
- Pour into pie crust and bake for 15 minutes at 350 F° → 180 C°
- Cool the pie completely before placing it in the refrigerator for at least three hours or until it will set.
- Fit a pastry bag with a large piping tip and fill with whipped cream, take the pie out of the fridge, and pipe a border around the top with the whipped cream.
- Slice, serve and enjoy.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY YOU ALL. LOVE MANUELA XO
STEP BY STEP PICTURES;