Happy Sunday you all ♥
Today I baked a super delicious Tiramisu Cake Roll.
The vanilla cake roll is made with buttermilk, it gives the cake such a great texture and softness, I love it.
This Tiramisu Cake Roll I filled with a pastry cream that I combined together with whipped cream and mascarpone, this filling is so delish!
This cake is perfect for any party, and I hope you are going to love it too.
Just a few notes before you start baking this cake roll;
- Have your eggs and buttermilk in room temp before you start with the cake, and don’t forget to sift the dry ingredients, and when you combine the dry and wet ingredients, carefully combine so you keep all the volume of the mixture. This will result in a delicious fluffy Cake roll.
TIRAMISU CAKE ROLL
VANILLA CAKE ROLL
- 4 LARGE EGGS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 3/4 CUP (170 G) GRANULATED SUGAR
- 3/4 CUP + 1 TEASPOON (95 G) SIFTED ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 TABLESPOON CORNSTARCH
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA SUGAR
- 2 TABLESPOONS ( 30 ML) BUTTERMILK, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 TABLESPOON ( 15 ML)VEGETABLE OIL
For rolling the cake;
Parchment paper generously sprinkled with 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.
- 2 0Z.(50 ml)STRONGLY BREWED COFFEE OR ESPRESSO COFFEE, COOL TO TOUCH
- 2 CUPS(400GRAM)PASTRY CREAM, YOU FIND THE RECIPE →HERE.
- 1 CUP( 250 ML)HEAVY CREAM
- 9 OZ.(250 GRAM) MASCARPONE
- 1/2 TEASPOON REAL VANILLA POWDER, OPTIONAL ( SEE PICTURE, SCROLL DOWN)
- 1/2 CUP ( 60 GRAMS) POWDERED SUGAR, OPTIONAL
- 3/4 CUP ( 200 ML) HEAVY CREAM + 1/4 TSP.REAL VANILLA + 1 TABLESPOON POWDERED SUGAR, OPTIONAL
- 2-3 ss TABLESPOONS KAKAO POWDER
Vanilla Cake Roll with buttermilk;
- Preheat oven to 350F° (180C°).
- Grease a 9×13-jelly roll pan with Bake Easy Spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl of a standing mixer, beat eggs and sugar for about 8 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, and baking powder.
- Stop the mixer and sift in half of the flour mixture, Use a large spatula to stir and fold in the flour mixture very carefully, so you keep the nice volume of the egg mixture.
- Sift in the remaining dry ingredients, together with the buttermilk and oil, carefully fold it in with a spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and use a spatula to distribute batter evenly.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- While the cake is in the oven, sprinkle parchment paper with 2-3 tablespoons of sugar
- Check cake for doneness after 12 minutes. The cake is ready when it springs back when lightly pressed with two fingers and has a golden color.
- Once the cake is done, turn quickly onto prepared parchment paper, remove the parchment paper that´s on top of the cake.
- Place a new parchment paper on top and place a large cool baking sheet on top. ( this is important so the cake does not dry, and when you roll it the cake does not crack, if you don’t have a large baking sheet just add a clean tea towel make sure it covers the whole cake)
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Vanilla Cream filling;
- Make pastry cream at least one hour before you fill the cake, as pastry cream needs to be cooled in the fridge before you make the filling, You find the recipe for the pastry cream →here.
- Place your box of heavy cream in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Take the pastry cream out of the fridge, loosen it up a bit, you will need about 2 cups ( 400 gram )
- In a large bowl, whip up the cold heavy cream, mascarpone, and powdered sugar until stiff/fluffy.
- Add in the 2 cups of pastry cream, and with a spatula carefully combine.
- Place 1/3 of the vanilla cream into the fridge, for later use.
Directions how to fill the cake;
- Drizzle the cake with the strongly brewed coffee or espresso
- Add about 2/3 of the vanilla cream on top of the cake, and with an offset palette knife spread into an even layer.
- Dust with cocoa powder
- Starting from long side nearest you, roll up cake with the parchment paper, leaving it seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Keep the cake rolled in the parchment paper and place in the freezer or refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the fridge and place it on a cake stand of your choice.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper.
- Take the remaining 1/3 of the vanilla cream out of the fridge, and cover the entire cake.
- Dust the top with cocoa powder or if you like to decorate with whipped cream on top, simply whip up cold heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until stiff/fluffy.
- Place the whipped cream in a large piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice, and pipe swirls on top of the cake.
- Dust the top with cocoa powder.
- Cut and serve, and enjoy it is so good.
Step by step pictures;