Hi You all, I hope you all are doing well ♥
I´m on my way to Denmark for a meeting while my husband is driving I was writing this blog-post that I posted on my →Norwegian blog yesterday.
I Changed one of Norway’s most beloved sweet buns, the vanilla buns and turn it into a chocolate version. Instead of using vanilla pastry cream in the middle of the buns.
I added 4 oz of dark chocolate to the vanilla pastry cream making it a chocolate pastry cream, it is delicious by the way.
The buns are then glazed and covered in coconut.
If you love chocolate and coconut, you are going to love this version, if not just omit the chocolate and you will have the classic Norwegian vanilla buns like this →here.
NORWEGIAN CHOCOLATE VANILLA BUNS
- 2 CUPS (500 ML) WARM MILK
- 1 3/4 CUP (175G) POWDERED SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON REAL VANILLA POWDER OR VANILLA SUGAR, OPTIONAL
- 7 1/4. CUPS (800 G) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 50 GRAM FRESH YEAST OR 2 1/2. TEASPOONS DRY ACTIVE YEAST
- 2 EGGS, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- ⅔ CUP (150 G) UNSALTED BUTTER, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE, CUT INTO 10 TO PIECES
- 1 RECIPE FOR PASTRY CREAM GET THE RECIPE →HERE, + 4 OZ. ( 100 GRAM) DARK CHOPPED CHOCOLATE
- 3 1/2 CUP (400G) POWDERED SUGAR
- 1-3 TABLESPOONS MILK
- 2 CUPS (200 G) COCONUT
DIRECTIONS FOR THE SWEET DOUGH;
- Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking matt.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk and powdered sugar just until it is 96-98 F° (35-37 C°)
- In the bowl, of a standing mixer, fitted with a dough hook attachment, add the flour and the yeast. (If using fresh yeast crumble it first)
- Add in the eggs, and pour in the milk-sugar mixture make sure it is 96-98 F°(35-37 C°)
- Mix on low speed until all of the ingredients have come together.
- Continue to mix on medium speed for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the diced butter to the dough mix, a few pieces at a time.
- Once the butter is completely incorporated into the dough, mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes more.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 45 to 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- When the dough has risen, take the dough out of the mixing bowl and place it on a lightly floured kitchen counter.
- Lightly flour your beautiful hands and divide the dough into 20 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball.
- Lay the buns on prepared baking sheets, spaced about 2″ apart, as they will rise quite a bit.
- Cover the buns with plastic wrap, and let rise for about 30/ 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, Preheat oven to 392F°(200C°) and prepare the chocolate pastry cream.
- For the Chocolate pastry cream; Finally, chop 4 oz ( 100 gram) bittersweet chocolate I use 66%.
- Prepare the vanilla pastry cream that you can find the recipe for →here.
- Whisk in the chopped chocolate after the pastry cream has boiled and before whisking in the butter.
- Pour hot chocolate pastry cream into a fine-mesh strainer and into a small baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap, let cool until you are ready to bake your buns.
- Remove the plastic wrap, and with floured hands, with your knuckles in the center of each bun make an indentation.
- Fill the centers with a generous amount of chocolate vanilla – pastry cream.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown around edges, about 12-14 minutes.
- Cool the buns on a wire rack before glazing them.
- For the glaze, combine the glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle glaze around the top ( see picture below ) over the cooled baked chocolate vanilla buns and sprinkle generously with coconut.
- In my opinion, the more coconut, the better it tastes!
Have a beautiful day you all, Love Manuela xox
Step by step pictures;