Hi you all ♥
Homemade Dulce de Leche is so much better than storebought, and my recipe is super easy too to make and so incredibly delicious.
This Homemade Dulce de Leche recipe is made in 15 minutes, if you love caramel you are going to love this recipe.
I use this recipe for my banoffee pie, You can get the recipe →here.
I use it as a filling in cupcakes♥
Drizzle on brownies♥
And of course on ice-cream, my favorite way to enjoy.
Homemade Dulce de Leche
- 2/3 cup (150 gram) sugar
- 7 tablespoon (100 gram)butter, diced
- 1 -2 tsp. Vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract or seeds from ½ a vanilla bean)
- 1 1/8 cup(250 gram) sweet condensed milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
Directions for the Dulce de Leche;
- In a large saucepan add the sugar.
- Cook the sugar over medium/high heat, without stirring if possible!
- Once you see that the sugar is melting in some places, stir with a wooden spoon to prevent the sugar from burning.
- Stir the sugar until it turns into a beautiful dark amber color syrup, this takes around 10-12 minutes. (please, read my notes below about this step↓)
- When the sugar is turned into a beautiful dark amber color, Add the diced butter and carefully stir until it is melted, (stir at all times!!)
- Next, add the sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean paste, and sea salt
- On high heat keep stirring until the caramel has thickened to where it sticks to the back of a spoon about this takes about 2-4 minutes.
- →2 minutes if you want a dulce de Leche that looks like caramel sauce, this is perfect for ice-cream and drizzles on anything you love.
- If you are making Dulce the Leche for fillings such as banoffee pie, cakes or cupcakes I recommend you stir for →3-4 minutes on high heat total. ( I don’t recommend more than 4 minutes on high heat as the dulce de leche can become to firm for cakes or pies when you refrigerate the cakes/pies and want to slice the cakes.
- Remove from heat and cool in the pan for some minutes.
- Transfer to a glass jar to cool and enjoy!
- You can store dulce de leche in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
Have a wonderful day you all, Love Manuela xo
- Sometimes evaporated milk is referred to as condensed milk, but this is not to be confused with the Sweetened Condensed kind, so make sure you use the right one when making this recipe. Sweetened condensed milk usually comes in tins 14oz / 400g by weight, which equals 1 1/4 cups (10 oz / 300 ml by volume)
- Try to get the sugar to a dark amber color, This will give you the great caramel flavor. The darker the syrup the more flavor, but of the again course don’t burn the sugar!!!
Step by step pictures;