Hi you all
Fall is a great season to bake lots of buns.
I love to bake sweet buns and my favorite is a Norwegian vanilla bun.
The original Norwegian vanilla bun is filled with a delicious vanilla pastry cream, you can get the recipe for that →here.
This version of the Norwegian buns is made with vanilla cream as well, but I made an espresso version of the vanilla cream. It is soooooo delicious!!!
So if you love coffee and you love homemade pastry cream ( vanilla cream), you are going to love these espresso vanilla buns.
This sweet bun is filled with espresso pastry cream, after it is baked it is drizzled with glaze and the glaze is then dipped into coconut.
It´s just so incredibly delicious, I hope you will try it someday.
Espresso Vanilla Buns
- 2 CUPS (500 ML) WARM MILK
- 1 3/4 CUP (175G) POWDERED SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON REAL VANILLA POWDER OR VANILLA SUGAR, OPTIONAL
- 7 1/4. CUPS (800 G) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 50 GRAM FRESH YEAST OR 2 1/2. TEASPOONS DRY ACTIVE YEAST
- 2 EGGS, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- ⅔ CUP (150 G) UNSALTED BUTTER, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE, CUT INTO 10 TO PIECES
- 1 RECIPE FOR PASTRY CREAM GET THE RECIPE →HERE, + 1 TABLESPOON ESPRESSO POWDER
DIRECTIONS FOR THE SWEET DOUGH;
- Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking matt.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk and powdered sugar just until it is 96-98 F° (35-37 C°)
- In the bowl, of a standing mixer, fitted with a dough hook attachment, add the flour and the yeast. (If using fresh yeast crumble it first)
- Add in the eggs, and pour in the milk-sugar mixture make sure it is 96-98 F°(35-37 C°)
- Mix on low speed until all of the ingredients have come together.
- Continue to mix on medium speed for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the diced butter to the dough mix, a few pieces at a time.
- Once the butter is completely incorporated into the dough, mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes more.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 45 to 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- When the dough has risen, take the dough out of the mixing bowl and place it on a lightly floured kitchen counter.
- Lightly flour your beautiful hands and divide the dough into 20 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball.
- Lay the buns on prepared baking sheets, spaced about 2″ apart, as they will rise quite a bit.
- Cover the buns with plastic wrap, and let rise for about 30/ 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, Preheat oven to 392F°(200C°) and prepare the espresso pastry cream
- Prepare the vanilla pastry cream that you can find the recipe for →here., but, add 1 tablespoon of espresso powder into the milk before you warm it.
- Fill the centers with a generous amount of the espresso vanilla – pastry cream.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown around edges, about 12-14 minutes.
- Cool the buns on a wire rack before glazing them.
- For the glaze, combine the glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle glaze around the top ( see picture below ) over the cooled baked chocolate vanilla buns and sprinkle generously with coconut.
- In my opinion, the more coconut, the better it tastes!
Have a beautiful day you all, Love Manuela xoxo
Step by step pictures ⤵️