Hey you all; I hope you are enjoying your weekend.
Sharing the recipe for a delicious light Devil´s Food Cake, the cake layers are super moist and the frosting is made with lots of egg yolks, chocolate, and whipped cream, it is soft and tastes just like a delicious chocolate mousse!
This cake is perfect to make for any occasion, party or birthday, I hope you enjoy it.
Devil´s Food Cake
Moist Chocolate Cake layers;
- Make one 9-inch →24-26 cm moist chocolate cake in a springform ) or 3x → 8-inch (20 cm) round baking pans, get the recipe →here.
Silky Chocolate frosting;
- 500 ml heavy cream
- 350 gram g dark chocolate (55-70%), chopped
- 1 large egg
- 7 large egg yolks
- 130 gram sugar
Direction for the chocolate cake layers;
- Directions and step by step pictures for the chocolate cake you can find →here
- If you baked your cake in one springform, as soon as the cake is cooled down, you need to cut the cake in 3 even layers.
Directions for the chocolate frosting;
- Whip up heavy cream until it holds soft peaks, and refrigerate for now.
- Melt the chocolate in a large bowl, melt it over simmering water or by heating it in a microwave in 15-second bursts, stirring between each.
- Once melted, set aside to cool to 100-113°F. (38-45 C°)
- Place the large egg, and 7 large egg yolks, and sugar into a metal bowl set the pan over simmering water.
- Whisk continuously with a hand whisk until the mixture thickens a bit and the sugar is dissolved this takes about 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes pour the egg-yolk mixture, into a clean mixing bowl fitted with the whisk attachment whip the egg-yolk mixture on high until cool, this takes about 6-7 minutes.
- In the meantime check if the melted chocolate has the right temperature between 100-120°F, ( I use a digital laser temp to check)
- As soon as the melted chocolate has the right temperature, Take the cold whipped cream out of the refrigerator.
- Add 1/2 of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate, with a spatula fold until you don’t see anymore whipped cream.
- Next, fold in the whipped egg- yolk mixture, carefully combine with a spatula.
- Then add in the rest of the whipped cream, fold until you won’t see any more whipped cream.
- If your chocolate cream is not stable enough to fill your cake, place the bowl with the chocolate cream in the refrigerator until it is more stable. about 10- 40 minutes ( Check the consistency every ten minutes )
Directions to assemble the cake;
- Place your first cooled cake layer on a cake board that fits into your refrigerator, I use a silicon matt underneath.
- Add 1/4 of the chocolate cream on top of the first chocolate cake layer, use a small offset palette knife, smooth the chocolate frosting on top of the cake.
- Place the next chocolate layer on top and repeat this step.
- Add the last cake layer, which you will place top down.
- If you have, add a plastic collar and cake ring around the cake ( or cover the cake with plastic wrap) and refrigerate for 2 hours, or freeze for 30 minutes.
- Put the rest of the chocolate cream into the refrigerator for later.
- Take the chocolate cake out of the refrigerator, remove the cake-ring and collar. ( or plastic wrap if you used that instead)
- Take the chocolate cream out of the refrigerator, if the chocolate cream is to firm to spread onto the cake, simply remove 2 tablespoons of the chocolate cream add it into a small bowl and heat in the microwave for 3-4 seconds, and carefully combine with the rest of the chocolate cream.
- Cover the whole cake with the remaining chocolate frosting. ( I use an offset palette knife)
- This cake will keep covered at cool room temperature for up to 8 hours, and then refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Serve and enjoy!
Have a wonderful weekend you all, Love Manuela xo
Directions and step by step pictures for the chocolate cake you can find →here
Step by step pictures for the chocolate frosting↓